Not to be out done, the Queens Center Mall kicks off its holiday season with a tree lighting. The first 500 children will receive a free magic wand to help light the tree. Then it's milk, cookies, and Santa time. See more about Santa at Queens Center and the mall's other promotions in December.
- November 15, 2014, 5 p.m. (Level 2, JCPenney Wing)
- Queens Center Mall, LIE at Queens Blvd, Elmhurst
- Woodhaven BID’s Christmas Tree and Menorah Lighting Ceremony - December 5, 2014, 6 p.m.
- Forest Parkway Plaza,at intersection of Forest Pkwy and Jamaica Ave
- Welcome Santa to Woodhaven Parade, Dec. 6, 2014, 11:30 a.m.
- Woodhaven Manor, from 96th Street, along Jamaica Avenue, to Dexter Court.
Woodside Tree Lighting
- Woodside on the Move Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony - December 6, 2014, 6 p.m.
- Sohncke Square Park, 58th St and Woodisde Ave
Sabba Park Snowflake Lighting and AcapellaQ Caroling
- December 1, 2014, 6-8 p.m., 48th Street and Queens Boulevard, Sunnyside
- There will be caroling, cookies, and Santa
Queens Library Celebrates the Holidays
There are many holiday events at local library branches throughout Queens. Check the Queens Library website for a list of all events, including arts and crafts and concerts.
Kwanzaa Celebration at Langston Hughes Queens Library Branch
Learn about Kwanzaa, enjoy live performances, and make crafts at this annual Kwanzaa celebration.
- December 13, 2014, 11 a.m. - 11 p.m., free
- Langston Hughes Community Library and Cultural Center, 100-01 Northern Blvd, Corona, NY
Tree Lighting at Rufus King Park, Jamaica Center
- December 13, 2014, 6 p.m., 89th Avenue and 153rd Street
- There will be gifts for the kids, arts and crafts, Christmas carols, and refreshments
Jamaica Center Bid’s Holiday On The Avenue
- December 17, 2014, 5:30 p.m., Jamica Avenue in downtown Jamaica
Hands-on History: Deck the Halls
With King Manor decorated for the holidays, there's a day of creating your own holiday decorations
- Hands-on History: Deck the Halls - December 13, 2014, noon to 3 pm., King Manor Museum (150th St and Jamaica Ave)
Annual Holiday Concert - Oratorio Society of Queens
The Oratorio Society of Queens celebrates on December 21 with excerpts from Handel's Messiah, plus sing-along Christmas carols and Hanukkah favorites.
- December 21, 2014, 4 p.m., $35/$10
- Oratorio Society of Queens - 718-279-3006
- Queensborough Performing Arts Center (at Queensborough College), Bayside
Vienna Boys Choir at Colden Auditorium, Queens College
The Vienna Boys Choir comes to Colden Auditorium, Queens College, to perform holiday favorites.
- Vienna Boys Choir, December 7, 2014, 3 p.m., $20-$30, details
Flushing Historic House Holiday Tour
It's a Flushing tradition to tour the historic sites of the neighborhood each winter. This year the event is December 7, 2014, $25/$20 for adults and $10 for kids. Sites include Flushing Town Hall, Kingsland Homestead, Voelker-Orth Museum, Lewis Latimer House Museum, and Friends Meeting House.
This is a lovely way to learn the history of Flushing with others interested in the wealth of local lore. Contact Flushing Town Hall for more information.
Workshop: Winter Holiday Festival at Flushing Town Hall
Celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, and Kwanzaa with an art-making workshop and storytelling. Storyteller Robin Bady will share her favorite stories of miracles, menorahs and dreidels; Timothy Bellavia will show how to create beautiful Christmas wreaths using up-cycled fabrics and ribbons; and storyteller Tammy Hall will share tales from African traditions.
- December 14, 2014, 1 p.m., free
- Flushing Town Hall, 137-35 Northern Blvd, Flushing, 718-463-7700
Join the annual holiday lighting festival -- Christmas Tree/Menorah lighting ceremony -- in Jackson Heights and celebrate the season with neighbors. There will be a tree, a menorah, and holiday lights.
- December 16, 2014, 5 p.m.
- Jackson Heights Post Office, 78-02 37th Ave
Holiday Open House at the Queens Farm Museum
Celebrate the holidays with free Yule-time tours of the Queens Country Farm Museum, plus arts and crafts for kids and mulled cider. Also come by the Farm in December to buy Christmas trees, wreaths, and poinsettias.
- December 26, 27, and 28, 2014 - noon to 4 p.m., free
- Queens Farm Museum, 73-50 Little Neck Pkwy, Floral Park, 718-347-3276
- Christmas Trees and Poinsettia Sales: December 1 to 24, 2013
Holiday Tours at Louis Armstrong House
The Louis Armstrong House Museum gives tours of the house all decked out for Christmas. Enjoy holiday season audio clips and recordings. In the gift shop you can find some unusual items, like Jazzmen Rice, a jasmine rice grown in Louisiana.
- Louis Armstrong House Museum - Holiday Tours
- December 2014
- 34-56 107th St
Did we miss a holiday event? Email email@example.com with all the details. And I wish you a very happy Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, and any holiday I missed, plus a healthy New Year to you and your family!