Holiday markets are wonderful places to shop for unique gifts for the holidays. Mark your calendar for a variety of vendor markets and craft shows held each year in November and December in the greater Washington, D.C., area.
Holiday Markets in Washington, D.C.
In Washington, D.C., you can get in first with the Junior League's Grand Opening event, be entertained by musicians as you shop in the Penn Quarter neighborhood and shop at a German brewer's historic home or pick up some Swedish gifts at the House of Sweden.
Holiday Shops Presented by the Junior League of Washington: The market is held Friday, November 22, 2019, through Sunday, November 24, 2019. The Grand opening is Friday, November 22, 2019, from 6–11 p.m. providing an opportunity to be the first to shop and enjoy special refreshments. Hours on Saturday are 10 a.m.–6 p.m. and on Sunday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. This annual holiday shopping event is sponsored by the Junior League of Washington. More than 40 vendors gather at one spot to offer a variety of gift items while raising money for grants and volunteer efforts for Junior League charity projects.
Downtown DC Holiday Market: This year's market is held November 22 through December 23, 2019, from noon to 8 p.m. daily. It is located on the sidewalks on F Street between 7th and 9th in front of the National Portrait Gallery. Enjoy a unique seasonal shopping marketplace in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of downtown Washington, D.C. Find gift items from more than 180 exhibitors and artisans including fine art, crafts, jewelry, pottery, photography, clothing, prepared food and more. A wide range of live, local musicians and bands will entertain shoppers.
Jazz, swing, blues, reggae, bluegrass, klezmer, a cappella, brass and more create a fun, energetic atmosphere.
Heurich House Museum Christkindlmarkt: This market, located at 1307 New Hampshire Avenue NW Washington, D.C., takes place on December 6 through December 8, 2019. Shop locally made goods from over 40 vendors at the outdoor holiday market and tour the seasonally decorated home of German brewer Christian Heurich. This is Dupont Circle's only holiday market and includes gift items such as jewelry, ceramics, chocolate, housewares, clothing and more. Seasonal refreshments are available for purchase in the Castle Garden.
Swedish Christmas Bazaar: Taking place on December 7, 2019, you'll enjoy shopping for Swedish gifts at the House of Sweden, 2900 K Street, NW, Washington, D.C. at the Georgetown waterfront. The annual event is sponsored by the Swedish Women's Educational Association and supported by the Embassy of Sweden. The bazaar will feature Swedish arts and crafts, crystal, textiles, artwork, books, decorations, and much more. Enjoy Swedish Christmas carols performed during the Santa Lucia Procession.
Holiday Craft Shows in Maryland
The Maryland area has some excellent shopping opportunities with bazaars, arts and crafts shows, and gift shows both large and small.
- Montgomery Village Holiday Craft Bazaar: November 16, 2019, is the date for this annual event at the Lake Marion Community Center, 8821 East Village Avenue, Montgomery Village, Maryland. The hours are 9 a.m.–3 p.m. This annual event will host over 50 vendors from the Maryland area, featuring all handmade crafts including, holiday decorations, jewelry, clothing, glass, quilts and more. Admission is free.
- Maryland Christmas Show: This two-weekend show is held November 22, 23, and 24 as well as November 29, 30, and December 1, 2019, at the Frederick County Fairgrounds, 797 E Patrick St., Frederick, Maryland. Hours are Friday and Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Enjoy the works of 500 artists and craftsmen offering fine art, pottery, furniture, quilts, jewelry, clothing, wreaths and garlands, toys and Christmas ornaments. Admission is $8 for adults and $4.00 for children 10 and under. Parking is $2.00 per car.
- Sugarloaf Craft Festival: This festival will be held November 22–24, 2019 at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut Street, in Gaithersburg, Maryland. The hours are Friday and Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m., and Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Enjoy the crafts of 500 artists, including jewelry, wood, leather, clothing, sculpture, glass and more. Watch live entertainment and feast on a variety of foods. Admission is $10.00 for adults ($8 if you purchase online) and children 12 and under are free.
- Glen Echo Park Holiday Art Show & Sale: This show runs on selected dates in November through December at the Popcorn Gallery at Glen Echo Park, 7300 MacArthur Boulevard. The exhibition will feature works by resident artists and will include glass, ceramics, photography, painting, and more.
- First Sunday Arts Festival Holiday Edition: December 1, 2019, is the First Sunday holiday event and is open 11–4 p.m. on Historic West Street, Annapolis, Maryland. The free arts and crafts show features about 100 local and regional artists, plus live music, dance, street performers, food and more. West Street will be closed to vehicular traffic during the event.
- Kris Kringle Christmas Market - On December 13-15, 2019 at the Charles County Fairgrounds, 8440 Fairgrounds Road, La Plata, Maryland there will be a traditional German Christmas market. Modeled after the famous markets in Germany, this two-day event offers lights, holiday food, crafts, fresh holiday greenery, fireworks, music, and more. The market is open Friday, 4–8 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.–8 p.m.; and Sunday, 10 a.m–3:00 p.m. Admission is $1 or one non-perishable food item to benefit The Southern Maryland Food Bank.
Holiday Craft Shows in Northern Virginia
Shop for your gift and holiday decor needs at these northern Virginia events where you'll find hand made items as well as Christmas collectibles for sale.
- Northern Virginia Christmas Market - Held November 8–10, 2019 at the Dulles Expo Center, 4368 Chantilly Shopping Center in Chantilly, shopping hours are Friday and Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. This arts and crafts market features Christmas collectibles and thousands of home decorating ideas for the holidays. Admission is $8 for adults (bring a canned food donation and receive $1 off), and children 12 and under are free.
- Fairfax Holiday Craft Show: This year's dates are November 16–17, 2019. The fair, which has grown into a major event with artisans coming from all over the U.S., takes place at Fairfax High School, 3501 Rebel Run, Fairfax, Virginia. Hours are Saturday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults and children under 18 are free. Enjoy handmade crafts including baskets, dolls, floral items, jewelry, paintings, photographs, pottery, clay, wood items and more. Relax with a hot lunch for a break during your shopping.
- Vienna Thanksgiving Arts & Crafts Show: This year's show will be held Thanksgiving weekend, November 29–December 1, 2019, at the Cherry Community Center, 120 Cherry Street, Vienna, Virginia. Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m.–4 p.m. This show features more than 80 juried artisans offering original, handmade arts and crafts, including decorative painting, fused, etched, painted and stained glass, ceramics and pottery, hand-painted silk, woodworking hand weaving, photography, and more. Admission is $5 (a $1 discount ticket is available on the website) and free for children 12 and under.
- Holiday Market at Del Ray Artisans: Taking place on weekends from December 6–22, 2019, the artisan showcase takes place at 2019704 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria. Open the first three weekends of December, the hours are Friday, 6–9 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m. The Market offers unique handmade fine arts and crafts from 20 exhibitors including pottery/ceramics, photography, jewelry, cloth, paper crafts, and glass. There are completely different artists exhibiting each weekend.
- Leesburg Holiday Fine Arts and Craft Show: The show takes place December 7–8, 2019 at Ida Lee Park Recreation Center, 60 Ida Lee Dr. NW, Leesburg. Enjoy shopping over 95 local and regional artisans selling hand made items from candles, stained glass, carved wood, jewelry, leather products, table linens, and much more. Hours are Saturday 9 a.m.–4 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Wakefield Park Holiday Art and Craft Show: Taking place December 7–8, 2019 at the Audrey Moore Recreation Center, 8100 Braddock Road, Annandale, VA., the show hours are Saturday 9 a.m.–4 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.–3:30 p.m. This arts and crafts show features handmade arts and crafts nearly 60 of the area's finest artisans.
- Herndon Holiday Arts and Crafts Show: The show takes place on December 8, 2019, at the Herndon Community Center, 814 Ferndale Ave., Herndon, VA. Hours are 10 a.m.–4 p.m. A variety of handcrafted items and fine art will be on sale including wreaths, quilts, jewelry, Christmas ornaments, decorations, original artwork, photography, stained glass, and more.
- Sugarloaf Craft Festival: The festival runs December 6, 7 and 8, 2019, at the Dulles Expo Center, Chantilly, VA. Hours are Friday and Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Enjoy the crafts of 500 artists, including jewelry, wood, leather, clothing, sculpture, glass and more. Watch live entertainment and feast on a variety of foods. Admission is $10.00 for adults ($8 if you purchase online) and children 12 and under are free.