Holiday shoppers in the Washington, D.C., area have no shortage of options when looking for Christmas markets. Typically featuring handmade items, markets are a fantastic option to pick up one-of-a-kind gifts while supporting local artisans. From early November all the way through Christmas, there is a holiday market happening somewhere every weekend in Washington, Maryland, or northern Virginia. Mark your calendar now so you don't miss out on these special events.
Holiday Markets in Washington, DC
In Washington, D.C., you can be entertained by musicians as you shop in the Penn Quarter neighborhood, shop at a German brewer's historic home, or pick up some Swedish gifts at the House of Sweden.
- Downtown DC Holiday Market: The 2020 market is open November 20 through December 23, from noon to 8 p.m. daily. It is located on the sidewalks on F Street between Seventh and Ninth streets in front of the National Portrait Gallery. Enjoy a unique seasonal shopping marketplace in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of downtown Washington, D.C. Find gift items from more than 180 exhibitors and artisans including fine art, crafts, jewelry, pottery, photography, clothing, prepared food, and more. A wide range of live, local musicians and bands will entertain shoppers. Jazz, swing, blues, reggae, bluegrass, klezmer, a cappella, brass, and more create a fun, energetic atmosphere.
- Heurich House Museum Christkindlmarkt: This market is typically located at the regal Heurich House Museum just south of Dupont Circle, the one-time home of famous German beer brewer Christian Heurich. However, the 2020 market is taking place virtually and "opens" for business beginning at noon on Black Friday, November 27, when shoppers can begin to browse products and make purchases online. The virtual market runs until December 11, so shoppers have two weeks to buy gift items such as jewelry, ceramics, chocolate, housewares, clothing, and more.
- Swedish Christmas Bazaar: Sponsored by the Swedish Women's Educational Association and supported by the Embassy of Sweden. The bazaar features Swedish arts and crafts, crystal, textiles, artwork, books, decorations, and much more. Typically located at the House of Sweden near the Georgetown waterfront, the 2020 event is canceled but you can still see businesses selling Swedish handicrafts highlighted on the event webpage to get your Scandinavian fix.
Holiday Markets in Maryland
The Maryland area has some excellent shopping opportunities with bazaars, arts and crafts shows, and gift shows both large and small.
- Maryland Christmas Show: This two-weekend show is held on the weekends before and after Thanksgiving—November 20–22 as well as November 27–29, 2020—at the Frederick County Fairgrounds in St., Frederick, Maryland. Hours are Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy the works of 500 artists and crafters offering fine art, pottery, furniture, quilts, jewelry, clothing, wreaths and garlands, toys, and Christmas ornaments. Admission is $8 for adults and $4 for children 10 and under, while parking is $2 per car.
- First Sunday Arts Festival Holiday Edition: Shoppers have two opportunities to catch the holiday version of the First Sunday Arts Festival in downtown Annapolis in 2020, first on November 1 and then again on December 6. The free arts and crafts show features over 50 local and regional artists, plus live music, dance, street performers, food, and more. In 2020, you can also browse over 150 additional vendors at the virtual festival for even more holiday gift ideas.
- Kris Kringle Christmas Market: The Kris Kringle Christmas Market at the Charles County Fairgrounds is canceled in 2020. Normally, it's a traditional European Christmas market modeled after the famous markets in Germany. This two-day event offers lights, holiday food, crafts, fresh holiday greenery, fireworks, music, and more.
- Montgomery Village Holiday Craft Bazaar: This annual event hosts over 50 vendors from the Maryland area, featuring all handmade crafts including, holiday decorations, jewelry, clothing, glass, quilts, and more. Admission is free.
- Glen Echo Park Holiday Art Show & Sale: The exhibition at the Popcorn Gallery and Stonetown Gallery in Glen Echo features works by resident artists and will include glass, ceramics, photography, painting, and more.
Holiday Markets in Northern Virginia
Shop for your gift and holiday decor needs at these northern Virginia events where you'll find hand made items as well as Christmas collectibles for sale.
- Northern Virginia Christmas Market: Held November 13–15, 2020, at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, shopping hours are Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. This arts and crafts market features Christmas collectibles and thousands of home decorating ideas for the holidays. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under, and in 2020 advance tickets must be purchased online
- Fairfax Holiday Craft Show: This annual market in Fairfax, Virginia, is taking place virtually in 2020. The Fairfax Holiday Craft Show is a major event and highlights artisans from all over the U.S., not just Virginia. Browse the list of curated vendors and shop for handmade crafts including baskets, dolls, floral items, jewelry, paintings, photographs, pottery, clay, wood items, and more.
- Holiday Market at Del Ray Artisans: Taking place every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from December 4–20, 2020, this showcase takes place at the Del Ray Artisans Gallery in Alexandria. Open the first three weekends of December, the hours are Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Market offers unique handmade fine arts and crafts from 20 exhibitors including pottery/ceramics, photography, jewelry, cloth, paper crafts, and glass, with completely different artists exhibiting each weekend.
- Leesburg Holiday Fine Arts and Craft Show: The show takes place on December 5, 2020, outdoors at Freedom Park in Leesburg. Enjoy shopping over 40 local and regional artisans selling handmade items from candles, stained glass, carved wood, jewelry, leather products, table linens, and much more. The show is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wakefield Park Holiday Art and Craft Show: The Wakefield Park Holiday Show is canceled in 2020. This arts and crafts show features handmade arts and crafts from nearly 60 of the area's finest artisans.
- Herndon Holiday Arts and Crafts Show: The Herndon Holiday Arts and Crafts Show is canceled in 2020. A variety of handcrafted items and fine art will be on sale including wreaths, quilts, jewelry, Christmas ornaments, decorations, original artwork, photography, stained glass, and more.
- Northern Virginia Handcrafters Guild Show: The NVHG Art and Craft show is canceled in 2020. This show usually features more than 80 juried artisans offering original handmade arts and crafts, including decorative painting; fused, etched, painted, and stained glass; ceramics and pottery; hand-painted silk; woodworking hand weaving; photography; and more.