Concerts and holiday performances in Washington, D.C. are part of the holiday tradition and you'll find them all over, including in Maryland and Virginia. Musical performances during the holiday season vary from Christmas and Hanukkah classics, sing-a-longs, and much more. After one of these shows, you won't be able to get those festive tunes out of your head.
Holiday Concerts in Washington D.C.
- Season’s Greenings at the Botanic Garden: During December 2019, on select Tuesday and Thursday evenings, the Conservatory is open until 8 p.m. with live seasonal music from 6 to 8 p.m. The best times to visit for "Season's Greenings" and avoid the crowds are weekdays early in December.
- The Washington Revels: On December 7 to 15, 2019, at the Lisner Auditorium at the George Washington University, you can catch "Christmas Revels - An Elizabethan Celebration of the Winter Solstice," along with timeless Revels favorites: rousing carol sing-alongs, dancing in the aisles, children’s singing games, the Abbots Bromley horn dance, and the music of the Washington Revels Brass.
- Holiday Events at the Kennedy Center: Capture the spirit of the season with these holiday concerts, featuring holiday music in diverse styles. The season runs from November through December 2019.
- Kwanzaa Celebration at Dance Place: On December 14 and 15, 2019, Dance Place has their annual Kwanzaa celebration. Join Coyaba Academy, Coyaba Dance Theater, and special guests to celebrate the seven principles of Kwanzaa.
- Washington Chorus - A Candlelight Christmas: On Saturday, December 14, 2019, at 8 p.m, you can see the annual return of this popular holiday program, which features traditional carols, contemporary compositions, and sing-a-longs. The festivities are accompanied by a brass ensemble and organ and include the traditional candlelight processional.
- Free Concerts at the Willard Hotel: Throughout December 2019, beginning at 5:30 p.m., the Willard Hotel presents holiday music. Enjoy performances from top choral and musical ensembles from around the Washington, D.C. area.
Holiday Concerts in Maryland
- Irish Christmas in America: On December 8, 2019 at the Black Rock Center for the Arts, the popular Irish Christmas in America production features Irish music, song, and dance in an engaging performance rich in history, humor, and boundless energy. Throughout December, the arts center generally hosts a variety of holiday performances.
- Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supperclub: In December, performances at this Bethesda-based jazz club include a variety of festive-themed jazz and soulful holiday tunes.
- USNA Messiah Concerts: On December 7 and 8, 2019 at the USNA Chapel, the U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club joins with the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra and soloists from the Metropolitan Opera Company to present selections from Handel’s Messiah.
- Gaithersburg Community Chorus Holiday Concert: On December 3 and 6, 2019, at the Gaithersburg Presbyterian Church and the Rosborough Cultural Arts & Wellness Center, the chorus will perform a variety of holiday favorites.
Concerts in Northern Virginia
- Wolf Trap National Park Holiday Sing-a-Long: On Saturday December 12, 2019, sing Christmas carols and Hanukkah songs with the United States Marine Band, vocal groups from the metropolitan Washington area. The audience is invited to bring candles to light during the last verse of "Silent Night," the final song of the program. Admission is free and you don't even need to reserve a ticket in advance.
- Loudoun Symphony Holiday Concert: On December 14, 2019 at the Community Church, the program "Holiday Cheer" will be presented.
- George Mason University Holiday Concerts: Throughout December. Center for the Arts at George Mason University. Enjoy a variety of seasonal performances including the Vienna Boys Choir and multiple renditions of The Nutcracker.