Whether you are a rock star in real life—or just want to feel like one—you can easily hire a car and driver to chauffeur you around Los Angeles (L.A.).
There are more practical reasons for getting a driver like ensuring arrival on time to a destination, the ability to work while in transit, or simply not having to deal with the excessive L.A. traffic.
While some might only consider hiring a service for a special occasion, there are also reasonably priced options that include a driver who uses your own car and ride sharing app options. No matter which service you choose, leaving the driving to someone else will undoubtedly make commuting in the City of Angels a much more enjoyable experience.
Advantages of Hiring a Driver
- Reduce stress: Driving in L.A. can be stressful, especially if you don't know your way around, aren't used to driving in a big city, or are uncomfortable on the freeway. Letting someone else do the driving removes that particular stress from your vacation or business trip.
- Fit in more fun: To check out the tourist attractions in L.A., you'll need to study maps and routes, hunt for parking, and trek from the parking lots to each destination. Having a driver frees up that time for actual entertainment. If you're landmark-hopping and not planning to spend a lot of time at each location, a driver can drop you in front of places like the Chinese Theatre and pick you up 10 minutes later.
- Get there faster: Professional L.A. drivers usually know the shortcuts or faster alternatives to reduce time in traffic. Unlike a taxi, which may have an incentive to keep you in the car longer, there's no incentive for a limo driver booked for the day to keep you in the car longer than necessary.
- Make traffic time work time: If you're in L.A. for work, having a driver lets you use traffic time to catch up on emails and calls, or even a nap without the risk of a fender-bender.
- Prevent DUI and other tickets: If you're in town to party, a professional driver eliminates the risk of getting a DUI and allows you to hop between clubs easily. Split between a group of friends a driver is a very affordable expense. As street parking in L.A. can be highly confusing for visitors, avoiding having to worry about the specific rules is a time and possibly a money saving option.
6 Options to Hire a Driver in L.A.
- Rental cars: You can rent a driver along with your rental car with Avis' Chauffeur Drive program.
- Your car: The Avis program uses chauffeurs from the WeDriveU.com program, but you can also hire a professional driver directly through the service to drive your own car.
- Limos: L.A. has dozens of limo services that you can use just for your airport transportation, or to have at your disposal for your entire trip. Limos come in all shapes and sizes from luxury town cars to stretch SUVs. On Limos.com, you can compare rates and book limousine services from several different limo services in L.A. Note: Most limousine or personal driver services have a three-hour minimum commitment.
- An electric car: For the environmentally conscious, Motev is a company founded by Morgan Freeman's longtime driver—with the actor's backing—that will send over a chauffeur-driven electric Tesla. The drivers are required to have a Class B commercial driver's license, CPR certified, and pass a security guard test. Executive protection from Aecon Global Security is available as an add-on.
- Let your hotel book your car services: L.A. luxury hotels often have arrangements with specific car services and can make arrangements through the concierge desk. Skip the hassle of trying to figure out which company to use and call the concierge before your trip for an airport pick-up. Don't forget to tip the concierge once you arrive.
- Ride-share app: Beyond official car services, you can now get a private individual to drive you around in their car or ferry you from the airport using smartphone apps like Uber, Lyft, and Sidecar.