The DC High Heel Drag Queen Race is an annual event that is held each year on the Tuesday before Halloween. Thousands of spectators flock to Dupont Circle to watch costumed drag queens show off their elaborate outfits and race down 17th Street. The following photos show some of the colorful costumes and provide a glimpse of the DC Drag Queen Race.
What You Need to Know About the DC High Heel Drag Queen Race
Date and Time: Tuesday, October 24, 2017. The race begins at 9 p.m. Participants and spectators gather as early as 6 p.m.
Location: 17th Street, between P and S Streets NW near Dupont Circle. Street parking is limited in the area. See a map and information about parking near Dupont Circle.
Tips for Attending the DC Drag Queen Race
- Take Metro - Parking is limited in this area and some streets will be blocked off. The closest stations are Dupont Circle and Farragut North.
- Arrive Early - Give yourself plenty of time to get there and beat the crowds.
- Keep a Sense of Humor and Be Playful - This event is more of a beauty pageant than a race. You'll see a wide range of participants, young, old, gay, and straight. If you talk to the participants, they may be flirtatious.
- Bring a Camera - Drag Queens love to pose for pictures!
- Party the Night Away - Many of the bars and nightclubs in the area offer drink specials and attract a lively crowd following the event. See a guide to Restaurants and Bars Near Dupont Circle.
Enjoy these photos and get a glimpse of the event!
Miss and Mr. Leather
At the DC Drag Queen Race dozens of local residents dress in drag and show off their elaborate outfits. The event is a favorite of the Washington LGBT community but also brings a large crowd from around the region to enjoy an evening of Halloween fun.
Drag Queen Beauty
The DC Drag Queen Race is one of the Washington, DC area’s more unique Halloween events. A diverse crowd comes out to watch the annual parade of drag queen costumes.
Formal Drag Queen
A nice gown and matching headwear! The DC Drag Queen Race is an adult Halloween Parade with a variety of costumes in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC.
Flappers of the Roaring Twenties
Friends get together to dress in themes for the DC Drag Queen event.
Drag Queen Dancers
The costumes are different each year. The DC Drag Queen Race is a fun place to see a variety of Halloween revelers.
DC Drag Queen Race Starting Line
At 9 p.m. the High Heel DC Drag Race begins. The actual race only last a few minutes. The highlight of the event is watching the drag queens showing off their costumes along 17th Street.
Queen of Cards
The DC Drag Queen Race is a fun event where the LBGT community shares their enthusiasm for their freedom of expression.