01 of 07
The Herrington Inn & Spa: Genius Getaway from Chicago
The Herrington Inn & Spa: Easy, Elegant Chicagoland Getaway
The Herrington Inn & Spa is a family-owned luxury hotel near Chicago. Since opening in 1993, it has won a strong Chicagoland following. The property has received AAA Four Diamond Resort hotel recognition for 19 consecutive years.
The Herrington Inn's charm reflects a simpler, bygone era.
- It is housed on the site of a creamery that opened in 1874 on the banks of the Fox River, whose cold rushing water kept the milk chilled
- The Herrington still trades on that history. From its Grand Lobby décor to its cookies-and-milk turndown service, the Old World creamery theme is subtly present.
Location & Convenience of The Herrington Inn & Spa
The Herrington Inn & Spa is located in Illinois' Fox Valley.
- It is less than an hour west of downtown Chicago and connected to the city by a network of expressways
- Suburban Metra trains link Geneva with Chicago. The Herrington is walking distance from the Geneva rail station, but the inn will gladly transport guests in elegant black sedans
- Visitors traveling by private jet can land mere minutes away at DuPage Airport in West Chicago, home to the state's largest corporate aircraft fleet
Guests (including Celebrities) Who Stay at The Herrington Inn & Spa
The Herrington Inn & Spa has a romantic air and is a popular weekend getaway for couples from Chicago and its surroundings.
The hotel also attracts visitors to Chicago. Around 20% of its guests come from outside the US, primarily Europe.
The Herrington is an in-demand venue for weddings and other celebrations whose revelers are sure to gather for photos on the hotel's grand staircase.
Thanks to its proximity to suburban performance venues, the hotel has housed its share of celebs.
- Who has slept here? Comedians Bill Cosby, Jay Leno, Steve Martin; actors Alec Baldwin, Tom Hanks, Dennis Quaid, Zac Efron; politicos such as former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev
Kids are welcome at The Herrington. However, pets are not permitted.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Is The Herrington Inn & Spa Right for You?
Will You Fall for The Herrington Inn & Spa?
The answer is probably yes if:
- You enjoy upscale accommodations with traditional and antique décor
- You like your hotels to have some history
- You appreciate personalized, warm luxury hotel service
- You covet incredible nature and river views that change year-round
- You're open to being charmed by a cozy suburb with a small-town feel
- You like hotels surrounded by natural expanses that you can explore
- You want a spa on-property
- You'd look forward to evening turndown service that delivers fresh-baked cookies and glass bottles of local Oberweis milk
The answer is probably no if:Continue to 3 of 7 below.
03 of 07
Style & Rooms at The Herrington Inn & Spa
The Herrington Inn & Spa's Look Is European Elegance
The Herrington Inn & Spa is just a couple of decades old, yet it's a historic landmark in Geneva, Illinois.
How? Developer Kent Shodeen’s elegant restoration preserved part of the site's original creamery structure, now untouched in the hotel lobby
The Herrington Inn & Spa doesn't let its guests forget its rustic roots.
- Its décor is traditional yet cozy, its palette soft and warm
- Room furnishings, many of which are authentic antiques, were sourced by the owner’s wife
- 21st-century tech gear complements the 19th-century antiques
- The inn's distinctive blond brick façade, white-trimmed windows, and wood balconies look straight out of a Swiss countryside
The refined European air is enhanced by strains of classical music day and evening in common areas and inside Atwater’s restaurant
Guest Rooms and Suites at The Herrington Inn & Spa
The Herrington Inn & Spa features 61 elegantly decorated guest rooms and suites, qualifying it as an intimate boutique hotel.
Most guest rooms and suites feature gorgeous views of the peaceful Fox River; others look onto a pretty courtyard. (The river view is better.)
- All but three accommodations feature a furnished balcony or patio with open views
- Returning guests often request the same room or suite year after year
Best Rooms at The Herrington Inn & Spa
The Herrington Inn & Spa’s poshest accommodations are its One Bedroom River Suites and Herrington Suites (both 780 square feet)
- They offer heated marble floors, a wet bar, DVD, copy and fax machines, in-room stereo systems, and riverfront balconies
- The One-Bedroom River Suite South View adds a prime south-facing private balcony
The Herrington Inn & Spa’s River Deluxe Rooms are a spacious 430 square feet.
The hotel’s Junior River Suites (583 square feet) feature king canopy beds, sitting areas, and balconies overlooking the Fox River.
Standard Features at The Herrington Inn & Spa
Guests in any accommodation can count on:
- European-style breakfast buffet served daily in the Grand Lobby
- Spacious bathrooms with oversized Jacuzzis and separate showers
- Plush robes and slippers
- Gas fireplaces
- Nightly turndown service with warm, fresh-baked cookies and bottles of milk
- Plush robes and slippers
- Complimentary overnight shoeshine
- Complimentary wifi in-room and throughout the property
- Bottled water, for purchase
Fitness at The Herrington Inn & Spa
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- The property does not have a fitness room. But it offers guests access to a good, 24-hour gym across the street, for a low per-entry fee
- The scenic, 40-mile Fox River Trail, suitable for biking, walking, and running, is directly across a bridge from The Herrington
- Swimsuit not required: there's no pool at The Herrington
04 of 07
Dining at The Herrington Inn & Spa
Pack Your Highest Culinary Expectations for Atwater’s
Atwater’s is the hotel’s award-winning restaurant, also popular with well-heeled locals. Here, fine cuisine is served amidst bucolic Fox River views.
- Atwater's serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a la carte Sunday brunch
- Winemaker dinners happen throughout the year, complementing renowned Sommelier Mark Czubak’s wine and cocktail selections
The Cuisine at Atwater's Restaurant
Executive Chef Jeff Meyer serves contemporary American cuisine with global influences, prepared with market-fresh local ingredients. Carnivores, pescatorians, and vegetarians will all find something delicious to eat on Chef Meyer's seasonally changing menu.
- For a starter, try Atwater’s Hudson Valley foie gras and Washington State mussels
- Main-course picks for meat-eaters: Tomato-Braised Short Ribs; Oven-roasted Black Velvet Farm Elk Strip Loin; Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast with asparagus risotto and black-currant Grand Marnier sauce
- Fresh seafood options include lightly grilled Sitka Sound wild king salmon flown in fresh from Alaska or pan-seared Chilean sea bass, prepared Asian-style with sesame-scallion jasmine rice and Thai chili coconut broth
- For dessert, you're in good hands no matter your order
The Bar at Atwater's Restaurant
Wine and cocktail aficionados will feel loved by Atwater's
- The wine and cocktail list is extensive and global; here's a preview
- Even better, prices are very moderate
Afternoon Tea at The Herrington Inn
Afternoon Tea is served one Thursday per month pl and weekly during the December holidays, adding a British touch to Atwater’s ambiance.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Its traditional high tea service includes crustless finger sandwiches; freshly brewed (and locally sold) loose teas; petits fours and pastries
- Delectable scones, served with fruit preserves and real clotted cream, are baked from the family recipe of British-born Director of Operations Stewart Boynton
- Additional options include quiche and soufflé-like dark chocolate molten cake
- French Champagne is poured by the glass
05 of 07
Spa at The Herrington Inn & Spa
Indulgent Spa Pursuits at The Herrington Inn & Spa
The petite, exclusive Spa at The Herrington is a relaxation oasis. Serenity-seeking guests of the inn love it, and so do Geneva locals.
- The Spa features a cocooning Serenity Room and a sybaritic locker area with a rainshower
- Tabs are moderate for a deluxe spa
The vast spa menu covers massages, facials, and body, hand and foot treatments for women and men.
- Many services are available as 60- or 90-minute treatments
- Body treatments are a spa signature, and combine various methods
- The Herrington Massage incorporates hot towels infused with milk and honey; they nourish the skin and soothe tired muscles
- River & Stone Radiance, a 60- or 90-minute treatment using heated stones and aromatic oil to stimulate energy flow
- Love scrubs? The Herrington Delight features natural body exfoliation with cornmeal, chamomile, followed by a lavender-infused muscle rub and body wrap
- Male clients can savor the Viking-inspired Ericsson’s Fortifier, which heals skin stressed by the elements
In-Room Spa Treatments at The Herrington Inn & Spa
Spa therapists will gladly perform your massage in your Herrington room.
The Spa's extensive In-Room Bath Menu lets Inn guests savor the luxury of a drawn bath.
- During spa hours, your bath will be prepared for you; after-hours, it's DIY with a bath basket delivered to your room or suite
- Home Sweet Home Bath combines mineral salts and organic herbal oils
- The detoxifying Herrington Plunge Bath adds a facial mud mask
- Milk & Honey Oasis Bath plays up The Herrington’s creamery roots, with healthful elements of both
Spa Packages at the Inn
The spa offers packages for multiple treatments, couples' services, and girlfriends’ getawaysContinue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Things to Do near The Herrington Inn & Spa
Things to Do Near The Herrington Inn & Spa
The surrounding town of Geneva upholds the proud charm of Midwestern small towns. This picturesque riverside enclave is a lovely stroll from the Inn, and many guests make a point to experience it.
- Much of downtown Geneva is a designated historic district, complete with a history museum and notable homes, including those by Frank Lloyd Wright
- The outdoor Geneva French Market is a must-visit on Sundays from May through November
- Geneva hosts festivals like Swedish Days, the Geneva Arts Fair, and Festival of the Vine
- Here's Geneva's festival calendar
It's appealing downtown shopping district is home to more than 100 specialty shops
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Many are housed in charming Victorian-style homes
- Many of them are locally owned, and not chain stores
- Tasting rooms on Geneva’s main shopping strip, Third Street, introduce visitors to Illinois-made wines from Galena Cellars Vineyard & Winery and Geneva Wine Cellars. Both feature outdoor seating in season
- Culinary artisans at Graham’s Fine Chocolates & Ice Cream create memorable sweets
07 of 07
Connect with The Herrington Inn & Spa
How & Where to Connect with The Herrington Inn & Spa
- The Herrington Inn & Spa website
- Its blog
- The property's video tour
- The Herrington Inn & Spa on Facebook
- On Twitter (@HerringtonInn)
- Photos on Pinterest
- The Herrington Inn & Spa
15 South River Lane
Geneva, Illinois 60134
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the inn. While this arrangement has not influenced her article, About.com believes in editorial transparency. For details, see our Ethics Policy.