01 of 03
Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
NOTE: This ride is now closed. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train was a ride in Disney California Adventure's Bug's Land area. To make room for its new Marvel-Themed section, Bug's Land closed in September, 2018. Until the new Marvel area is finished in 2020, you can read about the old ride.
Remembering Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
Heimlich is the German-accented caterpillar from the film It's a Bug's Life. In this ride, Heimlich's body forms the basis for a little train. Inside each car, speakers let riders listen in on his constant commentary about food. His tendency to overeat is actually the theme of the entire ride.
The train passes oversized portions of human food that include carrots, watermelon, animal crackers and candy corn. Each one emits a scent: vanilla for the animal crackers, watermelon for the watermelon and so on. Most people like this, but a few sensitive smellers say it's a little overwhelming.
The foods are all missing a few bites. You might guess that Heimlich has passed them before. In fact, he seems to be munching on a piece of candy corn as he takes you for a ride.
This is a great ride for almost anyone except impatient tweens and teens. Moms especially recommend it for toddlers and preschoolers. It moves slowly and the commentary is funny enough to keep the adults amused.
What You Need to Know About Heimlich
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- Location: Flik's Fun Fair in Bug's Land
- Rating: ★★
- Restrictions: None
- Ride Time: 2 minutes
- Recommended for: This ride is good for small children.
- Fun Factor: Low to medium
- Wait Factor: Low, seldom more than 10 minutes and about 5 minutes most of the time. Come back later if you find a wait longer than that.
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: Vehicles look like a caterpillar. Riders sit in rows. Each row holds 2 people and each person has their own seatbelt.
- Accessibility: You will have to transfer from your wheelchair or ECV into the ride vehicle, by yourself or with help from your traveling companions. Enter with everyone else. Heimlich talks during the ride, but no assistive listening devices are available.
02 of 03
How to Have More Fun on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
- This ride is a favorite of adults in A Bug's Land because of the humorous chatter.
- The watermelon is very juicy. It sprays a little bit of mist as you pass through, but not enough to get you wet.
- You can get an idea what the ride is like by watching this point of view video at YouTube. You can also read some reviews of Heimlich's Chew Chew Train at Yelp to see what other people think.
- The doors to all but one of the seats are the width of only one row. If you need more width than that to get yourself boarded, politely ask a Cast Member for accessible seating. You may have to let a few guests pass in front of you, but you can get access to the one seating with a wider door.
Next California Adventure Ride: Tuck 'n' Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies
More About California Adventure Rides
You can see all the California Adventure rides at a glance on the California Adventure Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with Radiator Springs Racers and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Fun Facts About Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
Heimlich is a fat green caterpillar with a German accent who works as a clown in P.T. Flea's circus troupe. He eats all the time and dreams of becoming a beautiful butterfly. At the end of the film, he pops out of his chrysalis, his dreams come true. Unfortunately, his wings are too small to carry him.
The name Heimlich surely refers to the famous maneuver used to save people from choking, which may be appropriate considering how much this caterpillar eats.
Pixar animator Joe Ranft is the voice of Heimlich.
You can find a hidden Mickey on the rocks at Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. Look for it when the train stops before returning to the station, on the dirt hill to your right. It will be just about even with the fourth row of seats.
These are a couple of the funniest things Heimlich has to say: "Ooh, I vish candy corn was a vegetable!" "I hope this box is not as empty as mein schtomach!" “Mama says carrots are good for my eyes. But I don’t want to put carrots in my eyes!” You can read the entire ride transcript at Disney Parks Script Central.