More: Halloween in NYC
The Halloween Extravaganza and Procession of the Ghouls is an annual event held at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and well-worth adding to your Halloween agenda. The evening begins with a silent horror film accompanied by eerie organ music, followed by a beautifully orchestrated parade of Halloween puppets as they march through the Cathedral. The atmosphere is amazing and since it's normally held on the Friday before Halloween (unless Halloween falls on a Friday, as it does in 2014), it's a great chance to wear your costume one additional time.
The early performance tends to be more family-friendly while the later one has more adults in attendance.
2015 Halloween Extravaganza:
- Date and Showtimes: Friday, October 30, 2015 at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Prices: $20 for general admission
- Tickets often sell out, so purchase them in advance to be sure you can attend. Tickets are available online for the 7 p.m. performance or 10 p.m. performance or by calling 866-811-4111.
About the Halloween Extravaganza and Procession of Ghouls:
The Halloween Extravaganza and Procession of Ghouls takes place every year at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The annual Halloween celebration has become a New York tradition, providing Halloween entertainment for costume-clad New Yorkers. The evening's entertainment begins with a screening of a classic horror film. Cathedral Organist Timothy Brumfield provides an eerie soundtrack for this haunting classic film.
This is the perfect atmosphere for seeing this film, but make sure you arrive early enough to sit close to the front -- the storyline is often conveyed through hand-written notes contained in the film which are difficult to read from a great distance. The Cathedral truly embodies the spirit of Halloween, with dim lighting and a ghostly feeling created by the organ music.
Following the movie, The Grand Procession of the Ghouls begins, again accompanied by the Cathedral's outstanding organist. Ralph Lee, who created New York City's Halloween Parade, stages an impressive parade of ghoulish characters who slowly work their way down the center aisle, often interacting with audience members. The costumes are impressive and the ghouls stay perfectly in character, which makes for an enjoying experience for young and old alike.
The Cathedral of St. John the Divine:
Address: 1047 Amsterdam Avenue at 112th Street
Ticketing Phone: 212-316-7540
Nearest Subway: 1 to 110th St/Cathedral Parkway
Silent Movies Shown For Procession of the Ghouls:
- 2004: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922)
- 2005: The Phantom of the Opera (1928)
- 2006: Nosferatu (1922)
- 2007: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922)
- 2008: The Phantom of the Opera (1928)
- 2009: Nosferatu (1922)
- 2010: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922)
- 2011: The Phantom of the Opera (1928)
- 2012: Nosferatu (1922)
- 2013: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1922)
- 2014: The Phantom of the Opera (1928)
- 2015: Nosferatu (1922)