By now, we all know the benefits of eating local--it keeps our carbon footprint low, helps the environment and supports our local growers and farmers. But there's a great foodie benefit too: Fresher fruits and vegetables burst with greater flavour than their flown-in counterparts.
Vancouver Farmers Markets have been flourishing in the city since their debut in 1995. Along with produce and plants, you'll also find crafts, prepared food, farm-raised meats and local seafood.
The eponymous Vancouver Farmers Markets are organized by a society of local farmers markets. There are five Vancouver Farmers Markets open in summer, and one open through fall/winter.
Summer Vancouver Farmers Markets:
- Trout Lake Farmers Market (map): Saturdays, 9am - 2pm, May 7 - October 22, 2016
- Kitsilano Farmers Market (map): Sundays, 10am - 2pm, May 8 - October 23, 2016
- West End Farmers Market (map): Saturdays, 9am - 2pm, May 28 - October 22, 2016
- Main Street Station at Thornton Park (map): Wednesdays, 2pm - 6pm, June 1 - October 5, 2016
- Downtown Farmers Market (map): Thursdays, 2pm - 6pm, June 2 - October 27, 2016
- Yaletown Farmers Market (map): Thursdays, 2pm - 6pm, May 5 - October 27, 2016
- Mt Pleasant Farmers Market (map): Sundays, 10am - 2pm, June 12 - October 9, 2016
Fall/Winter Vancouver Farmers Market:
The CSA Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society has a year-round Market Stand where you can buy produce and flowers grown at Vancouver schoolyard once a month.
- Fresh Roots Good Food Market at the Italian Cultural Centre (map): every other Wednesday, 4:30pm - 6:30pm, year-round
Vancouver's oldest farmers market opens for summer right next to the Granville Island Public Market (where you can find local produce/meats/seafood year-round).
- Granville Island Farmers Market (map): Thursdays, 10am - 3pm, June 2 - late-September, 2016
University of British Columbia (UBC) is home to UBC Farms, which hosts summer farmers markets from June - October.
- On-site UBC Farms Market (map): Saturdays, 9am - 1pm, June 4 - October 29, 2016
- On-site UBC Farms Evening Market (map): Tuesdays, 4pm - 6pm, June 14 - October/November, 2016
- On-campus UBC Farms Market (map): Wednesdays, 11:30am-1:30pm, June 1 - October/November, 2016