What: For 26 years, the Cinequest Film Festival has been bringing new and noteworthy films to Silicon Valley. Following Silicon Valley's tech leadership, the festival focuses on creative and innovative people, films, and ideas that are shaping the future.
When: This year, Cinequest will run from March 1 - 13, 2016.
Where: Various locations in Downtown San Jose, all are within a four-block walk.
Featured Films and Events:
- Storytelling Reimagined Conclave: Discussion on creativity and new media with YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki and Cinequest Maverick Award winner, author, actor, and director, James Franco. February 28.
- Actress Rita Moreno, recipient of the 2016 Cinequest Maverick Award. March 5, 7pm, California Theater.
- Opening night screening: Eye in the Sky, by award-winning director, Gavin Hood. March 1, 7:15pm, California Theater.
- Two films rising by local San Jose State University student filmmaker, Kourosh Ahari, who was recognized by Cannes Film festival at the age of 19. The Yellow Wallpaper: March 2, 7:30pm & March 12, 2pm, Hammer Theater. The Secret of 40: March 4, 4:30pm, March 6, 9:15pm, March 11, 4:30pm, Camera 12 Theater
General Admission: $11; Matinee: $8; Students: $6.
Special Events: Opening night/closing night screening and party: $50; Mavericks events: $12-50
- Film Lover: Includes all regular film screenings and selected events. $155.
- Mavericks: All regular film screenings, opening/closing night event screenings and parties, and the Mavericks award ceremonies. $250.
- VIP All Access: All above, plus VIP lounge access and special VIP parties. $500.
Where to Stay in Downtown San Jose:
Looking for a hotel in downtown San Jose?
Where to Park in Downtown San Jose:
Check out this guide to parking in Downtown San Jose. Alternatively, skip parking altogether and take public transit to the screenings. All screenings are in walking distance to VTA light rail, bus, and Caltrain stops. Uber, Lyft, and other ridesharing services are other good options for getting to Downtown San Jose.
Where to Eat in Downtown San Jose:
There are lots of restaurants, bars and cafes in walking distance to all the screening locations in Downtown San Jose. Check out this guide to the San Pedro Square Market, and this list of best San Jose coffee shops.
Coming From Out of Town?
The nearest international airport to Downtown San Jose is the Mineta San Jose International Airport. For a guide to local airports and transportation options, check out this post: Silicon Valley Airport Guide.