Nude beaches are abundant in Greece and there are many Greek islands with beaches where guests are allowed to sunbathe naked. While in practice any secluded stretch of Greek sand can be used as a nude beach, some beaches are more nude-friendly than others.
Even if you've never been to a nude beach before, you'll find that the sea, the sun, and incredible natural beauty of Greece makes it easier to go au naturel.
If you're a complete beginner, you may want to read up on what to expect. However, don't expect to see many Greeks joining you in the nude as very few residents of Greece actually make a habit of sunbathing naked. As a result, most naturists you encounter on beaches in Greece are travelers.
Still, the practice of nude sunbathing is generally accepted across the country—or at least tolerated. In fact, you'll find that nudity and topless sunbathing is often found throughout Europe, which may jolt some visitors to non-nude beaches.
How to Find the Best Nude Beaches
While the beaches anywhere in Greece are all great for sunbathing with or without clothing, some nude beaches in Greece and the Greek islands stand out from the rest. Fortunately, if you're looking for a more intimate destination for nude sunbathing, the majority of nude beaches in Greece are found on the islands rather than the mainland.
Paradise Beach in Mykonos is one of the best-known places for laying out naked by the ocean, but you'll also find a number of nude beaches clustered in Southwestern Crete along the remote sections of the coast, including Marmara, Sweetwater (Glykanera and Glyko Nero), Preveli, Red Beach, and Kommos.
Crete is also home to the sole "official" nudist resort, the deluxe Hotel Vritomartis at Filaki Beach and a nude apartment complex, the Kalo Kairi.
Nude beaches on the Greek mainland and in the Peloponnese, while not impossible to find, are much rarer. Fortunately, a local celebrity known as Cap't Barefoot carefully monitors the state of nude beaches throughout Greece, either personally or with continuous reports from hundreds of informants, and publishes the information online.
A Brief Guide to Nude Beaches in Mykonos and Crete
The two main destinations for nude sunbathing in the Greek Islands are found near Mykonos and Crete. In fact, Agrari, Paraga, and Agios Sostis in Mykonos and Antiparos, Naxos, and Paros near Crete are among the most popular nude beaches in the Mediterranean:
- Agrari: Located near the popular gay nudist beach Elia in Mykonos, Agrari is a little more secluded and sees fewer crowds, and generally welcomes mostly gay travelers to its shores.
- Paraga: A short distance from the popular Paradise Beach, which recently started discouraging nudity, Paraga still welcomes nude sunbathers throughout the year. However, more families frequent this beach in the summertime, so you may want to avoid it in July and August.
- Agios Sostis: For a more intimate escape in Mykonos, the northern part of the island features both Panormos and Agios Sostis beaches, which are relatively quiet except during the summer months. The latter is more nude-friendly, especially on days with smaller crowds.
- Paros: Located on peaceful shores of the island of Lageri, this beach is one of the best in the Greek Islands. However, it's not quite as nude-friendly as its neighbor Antiparos.
- Antiparos: Like Paros, this beach is known for its pristine waters and glistening shores, but it's also recognized as an official nude beach of Greece.
- Naxos: Found on the island of the same name, Naxos Beach is a fantastic place to sunbathe in the nude, but you can also enjoy Plaka and Aliko beaches while on the island, which are a bit more secluded.
Plan Your Own Trip to Greece
When it comes to finding a nude beach, the hardest part is actually getting to Greece to start your adventure.
After you arrive, you can simply book a cheap charter flight to a municipal airport and take a boat to one of the islands nearby.
Fortunately, many tour companies offer vacation packages that include beach day trips near Athens, excursions to Santorini, and even guided adventures around Greece and the Greek Islands. However, if you want to truly enjoy the relaxation of bathing in the nude, you may want to leave the tour group behind and book an intimate escape for yourself instead.
If you're hoping to save money on your trip, be sure to compare prices for flying into other nearby European countries. Once you've arrived in Europe, transit between countries is much cheaper. You can take a train, bus, or smaller aircraft to Greece from many nearby countries for a much lower cost than flying directly from the United States.