The Great Wolf Lodge at International West in Garden Grove (around the corner from Disneyland) marks the company's first location in California and the first indoor water park resort of any kind in the state. It offers the same kind of fun as the chain's other highly themed resorts in Wisconsin Dells, Sandusky, Ohio, Niagara Falls, and elsewhere. At 121,000 square feet, the California water park is one of the biggest in the Great Wolf Lodge portfolio and among the biggest indoor water parks in the world.
In addition to the usual water park suspects, such as a lazy river, wave pool, and water slides, the Garden Grove property features some signature attractions, including:
- Howlin' Tornado—Riders soar up and down the sides of a huge funnel in four-passenger cloverleaf tubes.
- River Canyon Run—Groups careen through a large, enclosed slide in the family raft ride.
- Wolf Tail—Brave riders enter a launchpad and wait for the trap door in the floor to open. The thrill ride includes a 360-degree loop (although it does not send passengers completely upside down.
- Wolf Rider Wipeout—Grab a boogie board and ride the surf.
There are plenty of non-watery things to do at the Great Wolf Lodge California as well, such as:
- MagiQuest—The extra-charge interactive experience immerses players in a high-tech, multi-player fantasy environment that is somewhat like walking into a video game.
- Howly Wood XD Theater—Another extra-charge attraction, it's a 3D motion simulator ride. While it's not as sophisticated, it is somewhat like the Despicable Me Minion Mayhem Ride at Universal Studios.
- Howl at the Moon Glow Golf—Try out some mini-golf with blacklight effects.
- Ten Paw Alley—You can take the little kids bowling.
- Lazer Ferenzy—Laser tag is great fun especially for teenagers.
A full-fledged resort, the Great Wolf Lodge also features a huge arcade with redemption games, on-site restaurants, a fitness center, and an Aveda Concept Spa to pamper and help get the wrinkles out of waterlogged guests. The California resort also offers a 30,000-square-foot conference center, activities for younger children, and a Scooops (sic) Kid Spa for tweens that offers pedicures and other treatments. The lodge offers 600 kid-friendly accommodations that include all-suite guest rooms.
Water Park Size
The water park covers 121,000 square feet.
As with the other Great Wolf Resorts, waterpark admission is included in the room rate. The water park is open to registered hotel guests only, and day passes are not available for the general public.
Location and Directions
In Garden Grove, California (next to Anaheim, near Disneyland), part of the International West district. The address is 12681 Harbor Boulevard in Garden Grove.
From Los Angeles: I-5 South to Exit 110A, Harbor Boulevard. Right onto S. Harbor Boulevard.
From San Diego: I-5 North to Exit 1A onto CA-22 W via Exit 106. Take Exit 13, Haster St. Turn right on Haster St., left onto Lampson Ave., and left onto Harbor Boulevard.
Other Great Wolf Lodge Resorts
Find other Great Wolf Lodge resorts in the Great Wolf Lodge Resort Guide.