Missing out on cake, bread, pasta, and pizza can be heartbreaking for anyone allergic or intolerant of wheat or gluten. In the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, you don't need to feel left out. There are plenty of gluten-free options.
Here are some (but far from all) of the restaurants and bakeries where you can find gluten-free baked goods, pizzas and Italian food in Minneapolis, St. Paul and around the Twin Cities.
Gluten-Free Bakeries in Minneapolis and St. Paul
In Eagan, in the southern suburbs, the Bittersweet Bakery specializes in gluten-free baked goods. You will find cakes, brownies and bars, plus take-and-bake pizzas. Bittersweet's goodies are also sold at some coffee shops, co-ops, and markets around the Twin Cities.
Uptown Minneapolis restaurant French Meadow Bakery has several gluten-free cakes and treats, as well as gluten-free meals on their breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.
Cooqi makes gluten-free baking mixes for cookies, pancakes, bread, pizza crusts and more. Cooqi used to have a retail store, now closed, but its baking mixes are available online and at local stores like Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury and more.
Gluten-Free Restaurants in Minneapolis and St. Paul
Here's where to find wheat-free pizza, pasta and other meals at restaurants in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
- The Twin Cities pizzeria, Pizza Luce, has plenty of gluten-free options for pizza, as well as pasta and brownie sundaes. There are also vegan menu items, so naturally, there are dairy-free choices, too. (Dairy is an animal byproduct, which vegans avoid.)
- Galactic Pizza in Minneapolis will make almost any variety of its pizzas on a gluten-free crust for a few dollars extra.
- In the suburbs, in Shoreville, Fresh Picked Pizza offers gluten-free pizzas, as well as dairy-free pizzas.
- Steak and seafood restaurant Wildfire in Eden Prairie has a special gluten-free menu.
- Biaggi's, the Italian chain, has a gluten-free menu with gluten-free pasta and sauces. There's a Biaggi's in Maple Grove and another in Eden Prarie.
- Mad Jacks Sports Cafe in Vadnais Heights has a large gluten-free menu that is nearly as comprehensive as its regular one.
- Ginger Hop, the Asian-inspired restaurant in Northeast Minneapolis, has several gluten-free options on the menu.
Gluten-Free Grocery Stores in Minneapolis and St. Paul
When grocery shopping, most of the larger supermarkets were originally slow to provide gluten-free options for bread, pasta and other items usually made with wheat, but those items are increasingly easier to find as demand increases.
Whole Foods and Twin Cities co-ops stock a wide range of gluten-free dry goods like pasta and cereals, with many organic options, too.
Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury specializes in gluten-free and dairy-free food and groceries.
The best value supermarket for gluten-free food is budget grocery chain Trader Joe's. Many of Trader Joe's own label products are available in gluten-free versions. There are Trader Joe's stores in St. Paul, St. Louis Park, Maple Grove and Woodbury.