Take a ghost tour and hear ghost stories and legends about the infamous haunted places in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Some of these walking tours are available throughout most of the year and some are special fall programs. Be sure to check the schedule for availability.
In Washington, D.C.
- Soul Strolls: Twilight Tours at Congressional Cemetery - Select dates in October, 5:30-10 p.m. Congressional Cemetery, 1801 E Street SE Washington, D.C. The tour tells the stories of the lost souls of Congressman to carpenters, suffragists to bootleggers.
- Most Haunted Houses - Lafayette Square Park is known as the most haunted site in Washington, DC. Take a two hour walking ghost tour with Washington Walks, one of D.C.’s premier walking tour companies and learn about the spirits of the nation’s capital. Tour is offered Thursday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m., April - October. No reservations necessary.
- Natalie Zanin’s Historic Strolls - The Ghost Story Tour of Washington. Hear stories and meet spirits at Lafayette Square Park, across from the White House. Fridays and Saturdays in October at 8 p.m.
- DC Ghost Tours - Tour Lafayette Square and discover the hauntings of the six apparitions witnessed at St. John's Church, the poltergeist of the Hay-Adams Hotel, and the legendary accounts of Lincoln's ghost within the White House. Tours are offered nightly at 8-9:30 p.m. March through mid-November. Additional tours added in October. December through February (call for winter hours).
- Scary DC - Ghosts of Washington - The 90 minute walking tour explores paranormal phenomena and ghostly happenings including searches of the spirits of Abe Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Dolley Madison, Stephen Decatur, Ulysses S. Grant, and other spirits that haunt the nation’s capital. Tours are offered on Saturday nights at 7 and 9 p.m. throughout the year.
- Nightly Spirits - The White House Haunted Pub Tour is a 2.5 hour walking tour past of some of the most historic and haunted pubs and buildings in Washington DC. Participants must be 21+. The tour stops at 3-4 different locations, and allows time to get a beverage at each location. The tour combines a good mix of haunted and historical stories, while allowing time at each bar for a beverage.
- National Building Museum Ghost Tours - Take a spooky lantern-light ghost tour led by costumed Civil War veterans. Infamous as one of the most haunted buildings in DC, find out why ghosts call the National Building Museum their home. Hear tales of an irritable rider on horseback and look for mysterious faces in the 75-foot Corinthian columns and much more! Select Dates September-October. Registration is required. Call (202) 272-2448.
- Candlelight Ghost Tours of Frederick - This is one of historic Frederick’s most popular sightseeing tours! Take a 90-minute ghost tour and be prepared to learn of the unexplained historic ghost encounters in downtown Frederick. Tours are available every Saturday night. Reservations are suggested for large groups.
- Ghosts of Annapolis Tours - Two tours are available. Walking Ghost Tour of Historic Annapolis - a lantern-led ghost walk through downtown Annapolis takes you on a journey through the city’s most horrific haunted sites. On the Haunted Pub Crawl of Historic Annapolis visit four of Annapolis' most haunted pubs (ages 21 and over). Tours are available year-round.
In Northern Virginia
- Alexandria’s Original Ghost & Graveyard Tour - Explore Old Town Alexandria while hearing ghost stories, legends and unsolved mysteries. Tours are available March-November.
- Alexandria’s Footsteps to the Past - This walking tour focuses on the ghost sites of Old Town Alexandria. Tours are offered nightly March-November. Tours available December – February by appointment for groups of 5 or more.
- Leesburg Ghost Tours - The two hour ghost tour examines Leesburg history and paranormal experiences. Tours are available by appointment only on Fridays and Saturdays April-October and on October 31.
- Paranormal Tours at Oatlands - Guests will enjoy a guided evening tour through the mansion. Tour guides will share exciting ghost legends and personal accounts of unexplained happenings on the property. Guests will also learn about some of the findings of the ongoing paranormal investigations at Oatlands. Reservations are required. Call (703) 777-3174. Select Dates in October at 7 and 8 p.m.
- Haunted Occoquan - Guided ghost tours are offered March-December (weather permitting) on Wednesdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. with an additional 4 p.m. tour on Saturdays. Visit with shop owners who have had merchandise strewn around by ghosts or get a glimpse of the young man who allegedly haunts a busy Occoquan street corner. Call (571) 572-9410 or email Hauntedoccoquan@gmail.com.
- Weems-Botts Museum - Haunted Heights Ghost Walk - Hear local tales of special wonder and mystery during a 45-minute ghost tour, departing from the haunted Weems-Botts Museum in Historic Dumfries.