Attending a live TV show taping can be a fun and inexpensive way to enjoy your stay in NYC. If you're a fan of HBO's comedy news show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, follow these tips for how to get free tickets.
Getting "Last Week Tonight" Tickets in Advance
You can request free tickets to see Last Week Tonight through their website. Tickets are generally available 2 weeks in advance. They release tickets at 3 p.m. two weeks before the scheduled taping (the show tapes once a week on Sunday evenings). There is a four-ticket limit per request. They request that if you've already attended a live taping that you allow other fans to attend a taping and don't get more tickets.
Getting Standby "Last Week Tonight" Tickets
First off, standby tickets are extremely limited for Last Week Tonight with John Oliver -- they distribute the vast majority of their tickets through their online system. If you do want to try your luck, line up at 4 p.m. (not before!) at the studio.
"Last Week Tonight" on Twitter
You can follow Last Week Tonight on Twitter for updates on last minute ticket availability.
What to Know About "Last Week Tonight" Tickets
Keep these things in mind before you attend a Last Week Tonight taping:
- You must be at least 18 to attend
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver typically tapes on Sunday evenings.
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver tapes at 6:15 p.m. and you must arrive 40 minutes before taping.
- The show tapes at The CBS Broadcast Center 528 West 57th Street (between 10th and 11th Avenue).
- You'll need a photo ID with the name matching the reservation to claim your tickets.
- Large packages, shopping bags, suitcases, etc. are not permitted in the studio, so make sure to drop off your belongings at your hotel before you arrive. (Small purses are allowed.)
- Smart casual dress is suggested. Bring a sweater or jacket if you're attending a taping -- they keep the studios pumped full of refrigerated air.