Read more about Paris
Read more about Lyon, one of the most dynamic of French cities. It also has the reputation of being the top gastronomic city in France. Certainly it runs a very close second to Paris and has four brasseries from the legendary Paul Bocuse as well as the famous bouchons which everyone should try.
Paris to Lyon by Air
London to Lyon by Air
There are regular flights to Lyon from all London airports. There are also flights from all the major regional UK airports like Edinburgh, Bristol, Cardiff, and Leeds.
Aéroport de Lyon Saint Exupéry is 24 km (15 miles) from Lyon.
From Airport to City Center
- Lyon has an excellent connection into the city center by train from the station: Aéroport de Lyon Saint Exupéry - Gare TGV.
- A shuttle bus runs regularly from the airport to most city center hotels.
- Book on Viator.com
Paris to Lyon by Train
Metro lines to and from Gare de Lyon
- Ligne 1 – La Defence to Chateau de Vincennes
- Ligne 14 – Saint Lazare to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand
TGV trains take from 1 hr 57 mins to 2 hr 04 mins, depending on which station you want in central Lyon.
Booking Train Travel in France
- From the UK, book on Rail Europe
- From the UK book on voyages-sncf (formerly Rail Europe)
Paris to Lyon by car
The distance from Paris to Lyon is around 460 km (184 miles) and the journey takes around four hours depending on your speed.
Driving Directions from Paris to Lyon
From the center of Paris make for the A3/A6/Peripherique/Porte de Bercy/Charenton
Follow signs for Aéroport Orly/Lyon/Périphérique Interieur/Quai d'Ivry/Porte d'Italie and merge onto Bd Périphérique.
Take exit onto A6B towards A10/Bordeaux/Nantes/Lyon/Évry/Aéroport Orly-Rungis. Follow signs for A6/E15/Évry/Lyon/Chilly-Mazarin
The A6/E15 will take you past Auxerre, Dijon, Chalon-sur-Saone and Macon into Lyon
Take exit 39B into Lyon Centre.
Paris to Lyon by Bus/Coach
Eurolines opereates from Paris to Lyon six days a week (no service on Sundays). The journey takes six and a quarter hours.
Check the Eurolines website.
Getting from London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar)
- By bus/coach
- Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey time is 7 hours. The Eurolines stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
- Eurolines website
IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.
- IDBus website