If you're traveling from Rome to southern Italy, you may well want to plan a visit to the Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo. The shrine is a popular Catholic pilgrimage site, with about 7 million visitors a year coming to worship at the tomb of Padre Pio, a widely revered saint of the modern-era (he died in 1968 and was canonized in 2002).
San Giovanni Rotondo is 180 miles east of Rome in the Puglia region of southern Italy - see Puglia map for its location.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By Train
The trip by train from Rome's Termini Train Station to Foggia takes about 3 hours on a Freccia (fast) train or 4 1/2 to 5 on the less expensive Intercity train (with no connections required). As of this writing, there are 5 direct trains a day (weekdays) between 7:30 AM and 6 PM. There are frequent connecting SITA buses from Foggia train station to San Giovanni Rotondo that take about 55 minutes.
You can check current Rome to Foggia schedules and ticket prices on the Trenitalia website. Trenitalia also has a handy app for iPhones or Androids, on which you can search schedules, buy tickets and track train status.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By Bus
An express bus service runs from Rome Tiburtina to San Giovanni Rotondo, currently departing Rome at 8 AM and 5 PM and taking 5 hours, 15 minutes. The return leaves San Giovanni Rotondo at 5:45 AM and 5 PM. Be sure to check the updated bus schedule on the Ferrovie del Gargano page – click on the "state services" tab.
Where to Stay in San Giovanni Rotondo
Keep in mind that the vast majority of hotels in San Giovanni Rotondo were built for visitors to the shrine. That means they are mostly clean and functional, with few amenities other than restaurants and parking. If you want a swimming pool, bar or other amenities, it's best to stay at one of the seaside hotels or resorts on the Gargano promontory.
- Hotel Vittoria is a modern 4-star property very near the sanctuary, with a restaurant and private parking area.
- Le Terrazze sul Gargano is within walking distance of the shrine and has terraces and a restaurant.
- Hotel Leon is a recently built and highly-rated 3-star hotel with restaurant and parking, located outside the historic center. They offer shuttle service to the shrine, about 2km from the hotel.
- Santa Lucia is an inexpensive option with 5 guest rooms, within walking distance of the sanctuary.
- See more San Giovanni Rotondo Hotels on TripAdvisor where you can compare hotels and search for the best prices for your dates.