Here's information about how to travel between Rome and Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo.
San Giovanni Rotondo Location
San Giovanni Rotondo is 180 miles east of Rome in the Puglia region of southern Italy - see Puglia map for its location.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By Train
The trip by train from Rome's Termini Train Station to Foggia takes about 3 hours on a Freccia train or 4 1/2 to 5 on the less expensive IC trains (with no connections required).
As of this writing, there are 7 trains a day (weekdays) between 8AM and almost midnight. There are frequent connecting buses from Foggia train station to San Giovanni Rotondo that take about 40 minutes.
The smaller San Severo train station is closer to San Giovanni Rotondo and also has connecting buses on weekdays but only one on Sundays (see schedule above). To get to San Severo from Rome, you would still take the train to Foggia, then transfer to a regional train to San Severo.
You can check current Rome to Foggia or San Severo schedules and ticket prices on the Trenitalia web site. People in the US may find it easier and more convenient to buy tickets ahead of time through Rail Europe - go to Rail Europe train tickets page to make reservations and buy tickets direct.
How to Get from Rome to Padre Pio Shrine in San Giovanni Rotondo By Bus
An express bus service runs from Rome Tiburtina to San Giovanni Rotondo, currently departing Rome at 6:15 and 17:00 and taking 5 to 6 hours.
The return leaves San Giovanni Rotondo at 5:40 and 17:20. Be sure to check the updated bus schedule on the Ferrovie del Gargano page - click on the bus tab.
Where to Stay in San Giovanni Rotondo
- La Solaria is a 3-star hotel very near the shrine with a restaurant and private parking area.
- Le Terrazze sul Gargano is within walking distance of the shrine and has terraces and a restaurant.
- Hotel Leon is a recently built and highly-rated 3-star hotel with restaurant and parking, located outside the historic center. They offer shuttle service to the shrine, about 2km from the hotel.
- Santa Lucia is an inexpensive option with 5 guest rooms, within walking distance of the sanctuary.
- See more San Giovanni Rotondo Hotels on TripAdvisor where you can compare hotels and search for the best prices for your dates.
Padre Pio Shrine and San Giovanni Rotondo Information
- Padre Pio Shrine Visiting Information
- The Pilgrim's Italy: A Travel Guide to the Saints, a book about Pilgrimage sites in Italy, has a chapter on Padre Pio and the new church in San Giovanni Rotondo.