Details on how to get from Malaga to Madrid in Spain by bus, car, train and plane.
- 100 Things to Do in Madrid
- Guided Tours of Spain from Malaga
- Malaga to Morocco
- Guide to Eating and Drinking in Malaga
The Best Way from Madrid to Malaga
Traveling straight from Madrid to Malaga misses out so many stops en route. Seville, Cordoba and Granada are all more interesting cities than Malaga and should be included on your itinerary if possible.
For the quickest and most convenient stop en route, consider a stop in Cordoba: the home to the epic Mosque-Cathedral is on the AVE train high-speed train line from Madrid to Malaga and makes a great day stop on the way between the two cities.
- Interactive Rail Map of Spain Input your itinerary to get travel times and prices
- How to Get from Madrid to Cordoba
Malaga to Madrid by Train
The train from Madrid to Malaga takes about two-and-a-half hours and costs about 90 euros. This is the quickest and most convenient way to get from Malaga to Madrid as you don't have to mess about with check-in times at the airport. The train will also be cheaper than flying if you are making last-minute travel arrangements.
There are regular buses throughout the day between Malaga and Madrid. The journey takes six hours and costs under 25 euros. This is the cheapest way to get to Madrid from Malaga, but it is also the slowest.
- Book Bus Tickets in Spain
- Book Train Tickets in Spain
Buses from Madrid to Malaga depart from Mendez Alvaro bus station. Trains from Madrid to Malaga depart from Puerta de Atocha train station. The bus and train station in Malaga are side by side. Read more about Bus and Train Stations in Madrid and Malaga Bus and Train Stations.
Malaga to Madrid by Guided Tour
- Malaga to Madrid via Granada and Toledo: For a guided tour that takes you to Madrid and leaves you there, there are none that I know of from Malaga, but there is a tour from nearby Torremolinos (twenty minutes away by train) or the slightly further Fuengirola that takes you to Madrid in two days, via Granada and Toledo.
- Tour of Southern Spain and Madrid: If you only want to see Madrid for a day or two, a guided that takes you there and back to Malaga could be your best choice. Check out this Seven-Day Tour of Spain from Malaga which takes you to all the big sights of Andalusia as well as Toledo and Madrid.
- Three-Day Tour from Madrid to Malaga: Make the return journey on this Three-Day Guided Tour from Madrid to the Costa del Sol, which takes you to Cordoba, Seville and Ronda on the way down. The tour ends on the Costa del Sol, but there always buses or trains to Malaga from there.
Malaga to Madrid by Car
The 540km drive from Malaga to Madrid takes about six hours, traveling mainly by the R4, A4, A44, and A92 highways.
Compare Car Rental Rates in Spain
Flights from Malaga to Madrid
A flight from Malaga to Madrid takes about one hour, but remember that check-in times and actually getting to the airport will make your total journey time similar to taking the train.
If you can book in advance, flying should be cheaper than the train.
Compare Prices on Flights in Spain