Faro airport is a popular arrival point for many visitors to the Algarve. Though some stay in Faro itself, others take day trips and many more travel to one of these popular beach towns. Read on for how to get to them.
Public Transport on the Algarve
- Buses Pretty much any bus you could need can be booked from Eva Transportes
- Trains Book from Rail Europe or cp.pt or in person at the station.
- Airport transfers Where available, book from City Discovery or Shuttle Direct.
- By train The journey takes 1h45 and costs about 7€. The train station is on Largo da Estação.
- By Bus The bus from Faro to Lagos takes about 1h30 and costs around 6€ one way. The bus station is on Avenida da República, which is even more central than the train station.
- By Car It takes about an hour by car to get to Lagos from Faro and is about 90km (55 miles) taking the A22.
- Faro Airport to Lagos Unfortunately, there are no direct services from the airport to Lagos. You'll have to take bus 14 or 16 to Faro's city center, then connect to a bus or train (see above). The journey takes 20 minutes and costs 2 euros.
- By train The journey by train takes 40 minutes and costs about 3€. You can buy tickets at the station.
- By bus The bus from Faro to Tavira takes an hour and costs around 4€ (one way).
- By car It takes around 35 minutes to get to Tavira taking the A22 and is less than 40km (25 miles) away.
- Faro Airport to Tavira There's no need to go into Faro center, but you'll need to take a private airport pick-up to get all the way without needing to change in l If you are flying into Faro but want to go directly to Tavira, the easiest way to do so is by airport transfer. It costs about 7€ and saves you the hassle (and 2€) of going into Faro's city center first, then transferring to a bus or train once in town (which is another 3-4€). This option is particularly helpful if you wish to avoid lugging your baggage around or just want to get to Tavira as quickly as possible.
- By train The journey takes around 30 minutes and costs about 3€ on the regional train. There are faster intercity trains but they cost over 10€ for a 20-minute journey. If you hold a rail pass, you can use it for this journey. Also note that the train station is outside the town, so you'll need to catch another bus into town or a taxi.
- By bus The bus journey from Faro to Albufeira takes around and hour and costs around 5€.
- By car It takes around 40 minutes by car to get to Albufeira from Faro and is about 45km (30 miles) using the A22.
- Faro Airport to Albufeira If you are flying into Faro airport but want to go directly to Albufeira, the easiest way is by airport transfer. It costs about 9€.
- By bus You can catch a bus to Lagos, then change for a bus to Sagres. The bus from Faro to Lagos takes about 1h30 and costs around 6€ one way, followed by a one-hour bus from Lagos to Sagres. For timetable information see Eva Transportes.
- By train You can't take a train direct to Sagres. The furthest west you can get is to Lagos. See here on how to get to Lagos from Faro. From there you can catch a bus that costs around 4€ and takes a bit over an hour. For train times see cp.pt.
- By car The journey from Lagos to Sagres takes 1h30 and is 120km (75 miles) traveling on the A22.
Faro Airport to Sagres If you are flying into Faro but wish to go directly to Sagres, the easiest way to do so is by airport transfer. It costs about 35€ and saves you the hassle ( and 2€) of going into Faro's city center first, then transferring to a bus or train once in town (which is another 6€) and then transferring again to another bus once in Lagos (another 4€).
- By guided tour If you are basing yourself in Faro, you may want to consider a guided day tour that includes a trip to the Loule Market. See here for more information about the Guided Day Trip to Loule.
- By train You can take the train to Loule but the station is 5km outside the town. However, you can change for a bus that will take into town. It takes about 15 minutes and is around 1.50€.
- By bus The bus journey is about 40 minutes and costs about 3€.
- By car It takes about 25 minutes and is around 20km (12 miles) to get to Loule from Faro by car taking the A22 and the IC4.