How to Get a Pennsylvania Hunting License

You Must Have License to Hunt All Wildlife

A hunter standing in a field, wielding a shotgun.
Yves Adams / Getty Images

When the air begins to get that chill of fall, if you're a hunter, your thoughts might often turn to one of your favorite sports, whether you want to hunt deer, turkey, black bear, elk, or small game like squirrels, rabbits, grouse, pheasants, or quail. You must hold a valid license to legally hunt, trap, take, or kill wildlife in Pennsylvania. Licenses are valid from July 1 through the following June 30.

  • You can register for a hunting license by visiting your local county treasurer's office or the office of the Southwest Pennsylvania Game Commission in Ligonier, Pennsylvania.
  • You can also buy a license online; it could take as long as 10 days to be delivered to you.
  • You can also apply through most local sporting goods stores from July through January.
  • Both residents and nonresidents can also order a hunting license by fax or through the mail. 
  • To qualify for a resident license, you must live in Pennsylvania for at least 30 consecutive days before the application and produce positive proof of residency.
  • If you are first-time license buyers, you must successfully complete a Hunter-Trapper Education Course and produce a valid Hunter-Trapper Education Card.
  • You must be at least 12 years old to hunt in Pennsylvania. Eleven-year-olds can apply for a junior license if they will reach age 12 by Dec. 31 of the current license year and have completed the required Hunter-Trapper Education Course.
  • Senior licenses are available to qualified applicants age 65 or older. If you are 64 you can apply for a senior license if you will reach age 65 by June 30 of the current license year. Senior Lifetime Licenses are also available.
  • If you are a Pennsylvania resident and a disabled veteran, you qualify for a free hunting license. 
  • If you are visiting from out of state and want to hunt in Pennsylvania, you can get a seven-day non-resident small game license, as well as all of the standard hunting licenses.


  • Hunting and furtaker licenses must be signed in ink and displayed on the middle of the back.
  • A valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle driver's license is the most acceptable form of identification to certify you are a resident.