If you're starting to think about that spring wedding, one of the less-than-fun steps is getting an official Miami marriage license from the marriage license bureau. The license must be given to the person officiating the ceremony before you begin, so make sure you have it in hand! Here are the simple steps to getting your Miami-Dade marriage license.
Note: If you are interested in obtaining these records for genealogical purposes, there are other methods available to you. For more information, see Miami, Florida Genealogy Resources.
Time Required: 20 minutes
- There is NO residence or citizenship requirement. All U.S. Citizens and Residents must provide their Social Security Number. Non-U.S. Residents may provide an Alien Registration Card, driver's license, passport or any other legal form of identification if they do not have a Social Security Number issued to them.
- If both participants are 18 or older, some form of ID is needed with a photo and birthdate. Some examples are a driver's license, a passport or a Florida ID Card. If one of the participants is 16 or 17, both custodial parents must be there with photo ID to sign consent. If there is only one custodial parent, proof of sole custody must be presented at this time.
- If either participant has been married, the exact date of the death, divorce or annulment must be provided.
- There is a four-hour pre-marital course that is highly encouraged. If you have taken the course, there is no waiting period. If you decide not to take the course, there is a three-day waiting period between receiving your license and performing the service. Note: This does not apply to non-Florida residents.
- Once you have your valid license in hand, you must perform the ceremony within 60 days. It is standard that you leave the license with the officiant, and it is their duty to return it to the marriage bureau within 10 days. Your marriage is not recognized until it is returned.
- There is a wedding room located at each of the marriage license bureaus. For a fee, you can have the service performed there. Flowers and a photographer may be brought, but will not be provided.
What You Need
- Picture ID of each participant
- Proof of citizenship OR Alien Registration Card (see above)
- Fees for the services
- The unconditional love of your life