College Park, Maryland, home to the main campus of the University of Maryland, is a vibrant residential and commercial community. The University was founded in 1856 as the Maryland Agricultural College and today offers a wide range of academic programs to more than 25,000 undergraduate students and almost 10,000 graduate students. The large campus and its close proximity to Washington DC attract a diversity of students from around the region.
University College, which is located on the edge of the campus in Adelphi, offers convenience, flexibility, and a wide array of degree programs for adult students. The City of College Park has a wide range of retail shops, services, attractions and recreation facilities.
See Photos of the University of Maryland campus
College Park is located in Prince George’s County, Maryland approximately 8 miles northeast of Washington DC. The commercial district and the main entrance to the University of Maryland Campus are located along U.S. 1, off of Exit 25 of I-495 (Capital Beltway). U.S. 1 is a major route to Beltsville and Laurel to the north and Hyattsville and Washington, DC to the south. College Park is also just a half-hour drive from Baltimore and Annapolis.
Shuttle-UM - provides transportation around the University of Maryland campus and to local points of interest including shopping centers, grocery stores, libraries, and post offices.
Metrorail – College Park Station on the Green Line
Metrobus - C2, C8, J4, and F6
MARC – Camden Line to Baltimore and Washington DC
Virginia Railway Express - Manassas and Fredericksburg lines to Washington DC
Amtrak – The closest stations to the University of Maryland are located at the New Carrolton Metro station and the Union Station Metro
Metro Bike & Ride
Metro customers can now access secure, covered bicycle parking free of charge with a registered SmarTrip® card at the College Park-U of MD Station. The facility is the first of its kind, a 2,400-square foot, secure, enclosed parking structure with bright LED lighting, security cameras, an emergency callbox with card-controlled access and real-time video and intercom communications with Metro’s Parking Operations Control Center. Read more about riding the Washington Metrorail.
Parking on the U of M College Park Campus
Visitor parking is available in five parking garages on campus at a rate of $3/hr. There are also surface lots located throughout campus available at a rate of $2/hr. See the Visitor Parking Map
Attractions and Points of Interests Near College Park
- College Park Airport - 1909 Corporal Frank Scott Drive (301) 864-5844. In operation since 1909, College Park Airport is one of the oldest continuously operating airports in the United States and is one of the oldest airports in the world.
- College Park Aviation Museum - 1985 Corporal Frank Scott Dr (301) 864-6029. Located on the grounds of the airport, the state-of-the-art museum exhibits historic and reproduction aircraft and aviation memorabilia.
- Archives II - U.S. National Archives - 8601 Adelphi Road. The College Park location is a research facility housing records from most civilian agencies, Army and Naval records, Still pictures, Electronic records Cartographic and architectural holdings, Nixon Presidential Materials, Motion picture, sound, and video records, John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection and Berlin Documents Center microfilm. Public tours are available.
- Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center – University of Maryland – (301) 405-ARTS. The performing arts center presents approximately 1,000 events each year including music, dance, theatre, workshops, lectures, dialogues and other events featuring students and faculty as well as artists from around the world.
- Tennis Center at College Park - 5200 Paint Branch Parkway (301) 779-8000. The tennis club features 15 indoor and 15 outdoor courts, a running track, fitness center, clubhouse with retail shop, locker rooms and lounge. It is a USTA Regional Training Center, home of the Junior Tennis Champions Center training program, as well as, the University of Maryland tennis teams.
- Herbert Wells Ice Rink - 5211 Paint Branch Parkway (301) 277-3717. The skating facility, operated by Prince George’s County, offers learn to skate programs, hockey, and party rooms.
- Paint Branch Golf Complex and Training Center - 4690 University Blvd (301) 935-0330. The facility includes a 9 hole golf course and a driving range with 40 practice stations, 15 of which are indoor for winter use.
- Lake Artemesia - Berwyn Road and 55th Avenue (301) 627-7755. The park has a 38-acre lake, a fishing pier, aquatic gardens and two miles of hiker-biker trails.
- Greenbelt Park - 6565 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, Maryland. Located about 5 miles east of College Park, the park offers outdoor recreation opportunities and a 174 site campground.
Hotels Near College Park
Clarion Inn and Varsity Lounge - 8601 Baltimore Ave. (301) 474-2800
Days Inn - 9137 Baltimore Ave. (301) 345-5000
Econo Lodge - 9624 Baltimore Ave. (301) 474-0003
Hampton Inn - 9670 Baltimore Ave. (301) 345-2200
Holiday Inn - 10000 Baltimore Ave. (301) 345-6700
Howard Johnson Express - 9113 Baltimore Ave. (301) 513-0002
Quality Inn and Suites - 7200 Baltimore Ave. (301) 276-1000
Super 8 - 9150 Baltimore Ave. (301) 474-0894
UMUC Marriott - 3501 University Blvd., East Hyattsville, MD (301) 985-7300
Courtyard by Marriott - 6301 Golden Triangle Dr. Greenbelt, MD (301) 441-3311
Comfort Inn - 4050 Powder Mill Rd. Beltsville, MD (301) 572-7100
Fairfield Inn by Marriott - 13700 Baltimore Ave. Laurel, MD (301) 498-8900
Greenbelt Marriott - 6400 Ivy Ln. Greenbelt, MD (301) 441-3700
Holiday Inn - 7200 Hanover Dr. Greenbelt, MD (301) 982-7000
Residence Inn Marriott - 6320 Golden Triangle Dr. Greenbelt, MD (301) 982-1600
Sheraton Washington North Hotel - 4095 Powder Mill Rd. Beltsville (301) 937-4422
www.collegeparkmd.gov - City of College Park
www.umd.edu - University of Maryland
www.umuc.edu - University of Maryland University College
shopcollegepark.org - Shop College Park