Lourdes is famous for its pilgrims who have been arriving here in the thousands since the mid-19th century when Bernadette Soubirous had the first of 18 visions of the Virgin Mary. Welcoming so many pilgrims each year, it has more hotels than any city in France apart from Paris, plus a large number of restaurants to house and feed visitors and the many pilgrims who believe in the power of the place. Lourdes is very near the Spanish border and the A64 autoroute which connects the surfers' city of Biarritz to Toulouse.
Paris to Lourdes by Train
Transport Links to Gare Montparnasse
- Metro lines to and from Gare Montparnasse:
Ligne 4 – Porte de Clignancourt to Porte d’Orleans
Ligne 6 - Charles de Gaulle Etoile to Nation
Ligne 12 - Porte de la Chapelle to Mairie d’Issey
Ligne 13 - Saint Denis/Universite et Gabriel Peri-Asnieres Gennevillers to Chatillon-Montrouge.
- For buses: see the Paris Bus map
Connections to Lourdes by TER
There are various connections from Lourdes, all of which connect up with a TGV to Paris.
- From Gare Montparnasse: Take the TGV to Toulouse then change onto an express TER train to Lourdes. (7hrs 45 mins).
Take the TGV to Bayonne then change onto the express TER train to Lourdes (7hrs 20 mins).
- From Paris Gare de Lyon: Take the TGV to Bordeaux, change onto an Intercity to Toulouse, then take a TER to Lourdes (8hrs 18 mins).
- From Paris Gare Austerlitz: Take the TGV to Toulouse then change onto an express TER train to Lourdes (7 hrs 45 mins).
Lourdes station is north east of the town center at the end of ave. de la Gare. Just a few minutes’ walk from the center of town.
Connections to Lourdes With TER high-speed trains
Popular destinations include Toulouse (from 2 hrs 10mins), Tarbes (50mins), and Bayonne (from 1hr 19 mins).
- See the major TER services on the TER website.
Booking Train Travel in France
- From the USA, check prices and buy online with Rail Europe
- From the UK, check prices and buy online with voyages sncf (formerly Rail Europe UK)
Getting to Lourdes by Plane
- Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées Airport
The airport is 10kms (6 miles) from Tarbes and Lourdes, just 5 mins from the A64 motorway.
The local Maligne bus runs from the airport (just outside the terminal’s arrival area) to Lourdes as well as Tarbes, Angeles-Gazost, Luz Saint-Sauveur, and Bareges. There is a single price of 2 euros for any journey on the network.
Destinations to and From Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées Airport
There are flights from Manchester and Stansted in the U.K., from Paris in France, Brussels in Belgium, Barcelona in Spain, and Milan and Rome in Italy.
Paris to Lourdes by Car
The distance from Paris to Lourdes is around 848 kms (526 miles), and the journey takes around 7 hrs 30 mins depending on your speed. There are tolls on the Autoroutes.
Getting From London to Paris
- By train (Eurostar): Eurostar travels among London, Paris and Lille
- By bus/coach: Eurolines offers a cheap service from London, Gillingham, Canterbury, Folkestone, and Dover to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris Gallieni. Six coaches a day; 2 overnight; journey time is 7 hours. The Eurolines stop is at the Paris Gallieni Coach Station, 28 ave du General de Gaulle, just by the Gallieni metro station near the Porte de Bagnolet (Metro line 3, final stop).
- IDBus also operates between London and Lille and London and Paris. IDBus also goes from Lille to Amsterdam and Brussels.