Washington, DC is within a few hours drive from several casinos and gambling destinations. In 2008, Maryland voters authorized the allowance of casino gambling at designated locations across the state. Since that time, several entertainment venues have opened around the capital region to offer the excitement of playing slots or blackjack or betting on the races. There are no casinos in DC or Virginia (although horse racing is legal in Virginia and there is one destination).
There are also a variety of casinos within a short drive from the capital area in Delaware and West Virginia. Whether you prefer to take a day trip or an extended getaway, you can find a variety of casinos and gambling venues near Washington, DC. Check out the following destinations.
Casinos and Harness Racing
- Maryland Live! Casino at Arundel Mills - Arundel Mills, MD. Located between Baltimore and Washington DC. The largest gaming facility in Maryland features 4,750 slot and electric table games, including blackjack, roulette, craps, and poker as well as several upscale dining establishments and an intimate live music venue.
- MGM Casino at National Harbor - National Harbor, MD.The resort casino is located on a prime destination along the Potomac River in Prince George's County and near Washington DC and Old Town Alexandria. The resort will include a casino with 3,600 slots, 140 table games including poker, a 300‐suite 4.5‐star quality hotel with luxury spa and rooftop pool; high-end branded retail; fine and casual dining; a dedicated 1,200-seat theater venue; and 35,000 square feet of meeting and event space.
- Hollywood Casino at Perryville - 1201 Chesapeake Overlook Pkwy, Perryville, MD. (410)378-8500. Located a half hour north of Baltimore and about an hour and a half from Washington DC, the casino has 1,500 slots and video poker featuring the latest technology with games such as Rockin’ Olives, I Love Lucy, and the Reel Tall Tales Collection with Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan.
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort - Flintstone, Maryland. Located in Western Maryland approximately 2 hours from the Washington DC, the award-winning mountain resort has beautiful scenery as well as 550 slot machines, 10 table games, and a casino bar. The resort includes a 200-room hotel, four restaurants, a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course, a spa, indoor/outdoor pool, fitness center, pro shop, and a variety of outdoor recreational activities.
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races - 750 Hollywood Drive, Charles Town, WV. (800) 795-7001. Located about an hour and a half from Washington, DC, the world-class gambling and entertainment venue is one of the fastest growing destinations in the region. The facility features more than 5,000 slot machines, 85 table games including Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, live poker, Mini-Baccarat, and Pai Gow Poker, live and simulcast horse racing, live entertainment and a variety of dining options.
- Dover Downs Hotel and Casino - 1131 North DuPont Highway, Dover, DE (800) 711-5882. The premier gaming and entertainment resort features 2,600 slots and a full complement of table games including poker. The hotel is Delaware’s largest with 500 luxury rooms/suites and amenities including a full-service spa/salon, concert hall and 35,000 sq. ft. of multi-use event space. Live, world-class harness racing is featured November through April, and horse racing is simulcast year-round. Professional football parlay betting is accepted during the season. Several restaurants, bars/lounges, and retail shops are on-site.
- Delaware Park Racetrack & Slots - 777 Delaware Park Boulevard, Wilmington, DE (302) 994-2521. The gambling facility offers live seasonal thoroughbred racing, year-round simulcasting from around the globe, 2,500 slot machines, live table games including poker, blackjack, craps and roulette, sports parlay betting, and White Clay Creek Country Club, featuring a world-class 18-hole championship golf course.
- Harrington Raceway and Casino - U.S. Route 13, Harrington, DE. (888) 887-5687. Located near Dover, Delaware, Harrington features more than 1,800 slots, a variety of table games, dining options, first-class entertainment and the excitement of live harness racing. The raceway is one of the nation's oldest racetracks dating back to 1946.
- Casino at Ocean Downs - 10218 Racetrack Road, Berlin MD (410) 641-0600. The premier gambling and entertainment facility, located just outside of Ocean City on Maryland's Eastern Shore, features 750 slot machines and live seasonal harness racing. Ocean Downs Racetrack offers night racing and draws some of the biggest audiences for harness racing in the U.
Horse Racing in Maryland and Virginia
- Pimlico Race Course - 5201 Park Heights Ave., Baltimore, MD (410) 542-9400. Opened in 1870, Pimlico is the country’s second oldest racetrack and serves as the annual host of the Preakness Stakes, the second leg in thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown and one of the premiere sporting events in the United States. Pimlico features a one-mile oval track, a 7/8-mile turf course and fixed seating for approximately 15,000 spectators.
- Laurel Park - Route 198 and Racetrack Road, Laurel, MD. (301) 725-0400, (410) 792-7775. Laurel Park, the sister track to Pimlico, opened in 1911 and features a 1 1/8 mile oval track and a one-mile turf course with fixed seating for approximately 5,000 spectators.
- Rosecroft Raceway - 6336 Rosecroft Drive, Fort Washington, MD (301) 567-4000. The 5/8-mile racetrack located near Washington, DC offers live harness racing year-round. Emerging from bankruptcy, the raceway is under the new ownership and is open seven days a week.
- Colonial Downs - 10515 Colonial Downs Parkway, New Kent, VA. Colonial Downs is Virginia’s only pari-mutuel horse racetrack. It is located off of I-64 between Richmond and Williamsburg. The track features a summer thoroughbred racing season, a fall harness racing season, and year-round special events.