First inaugurated in 1893, the Galeries Lafayette department store is a fashion institution in Paris. Located near the stately Opera Garnier, the vast, remarkably ornate complex is an essential stop for fashion enthusiasts: men and women's designer collections are always kept right at the cutting-edge, and the latest trends in jewelry and accessories, home furnishings, or cosmetics can also all be perused under one roof. It's also a stunning building, whose Belle Epoque architecture has featured in countless books and movies about the French capital.
Looking for special food items to take back home? Galeries Lafayette also houses one of Paris' gourmet food markets, Lafayette Gourmet, that will be sure to tempt foodies. Modeled after a Middle Eastern bazaar, the store is an ideal place to stock up on delicious French items before heading home.
- Address: 40, Blvd. Haussmann, 9th arrondissement
- Metro: Chaussée d'Antin, Opéra, or Trinité
- RER: Auber (Line A) or Haussmann St-Lazare (Line E)
- Bus: Lines 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 32, 43, 53, 66, 68, 91, 94, or 95
The "Galeries" comprises three main buildings, and includes the following departments:
- The main building, Lafayette Coupole, houses designer collections, "young fashion" and children's fashion, cosmetics, jewelry and accessories, books, music, and electronics. The Lafayette Marriage Boutique is also located in the Coupole. A restaurant and terrace on the top floor provide stunning views.
- Lafayette Homme connects to the Coupole through a covered passageway and features men's fashion and accessories, as well as a gourmet food shop, Lafayette Gourmet.
- Lafayette Maison across the street features the latest in home furnishings.
Collection Highlights and Designer Directory
The Lafayette Coupole offers over 45,000 square feet of women's designer fashion, spread across three floors. The men's collection at Lafayette Homme is also extensive and always on the pulse of fashion trends.
Weekly Fashion Shows
Every Friday at 3 p.m., Galeries Lafayette holds a free 30-minute fashion show on the 7th floor of the Coupole building. See the latest trends in haute couture and prêt à porter fashion - it'll offer you some inspiration before browsing the collections.
- Online store: In French only, colorful images will aid you in making selections from the fashion, gourmet food shop, or home furnishings departments.
- Tax-free shopping: For purchases at Galeries Lafayette over 175.01 Euros, non-European Union members are entitled to a tax refund.
- Wedding boutique: Planning the wedding of the century? The wedding boutique at the Coupole provides those special touches.
Annual Holiday Lights and Windows Displays
Each winter, some of Paris' most enchanting holiday lights and store window displays are to be found at the Galeries. If you're in Paris at this time, don't miss the Galeries Lafayette for holiday lights and windows that arguably rival those of New York department stores. This is a great excursion for the whole family-- kids are sure to enjoy the elaborately designed, fairy-tale inspired window scenes.
Unique Belle Epoque Design
Even if you don't intend to shop, visiting Galeries Lafayette is worthwhile for the breathtaking setting. The store's unique Belle Epoque architecture, which features a dramatic colored glass dome and an ornate Art Nouveau staircase that offers dizzying perspectives, contributed to the department store being named a city heritage site in Paris.