Gaithersburg is a very diverse community located in the center of Montgomery County, Maryland. It is the third largest incorporated city in the state of Maryland. The southeastern border of Gaithersburg is approximately 18 miles from the heart of Washington, DC. Major industries here are biotechnology, telecommunications, and software development, mostly dedicated to government contracts. Gaithersburg is also well known among urban planners as home to the Kentlands, the first new urbanist neighborhood (a planned multi-use community).
Gaithersburg is located off of I-270 in Montgomery County, Maryland, approximately 18 miles northwest of Washington DC.
Neighborhoods within Gaithersburg
City of Gaithersburg, Montgomery Village, North Potomac, Kentlands, Washington Grove, Washingtonian Center
According to the 2000 census, the City of Gaithersburg is home to 52,613 residents. The race breakdown is as follows: White: 58.2%; Black: 14.6%; Asian: 13.8%; Hispanic/Latino: 19.8%. Population under age 18: 25%; 65 and over: 8.2%; Median household income: $59,879 (1999); Persons below poverty level 7.1% (1999).
Metro: Shady Grove
MARC: Washington Grove and Gaithersburg
Ride-On: Series 50 and 60.
Points of Interest Located in Gaithersburg
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Montgomery County Fairgrounds
- Lakeforest Mall
- Rio and Washingtonian Center
- Bohrer Park
- Seneca Creek State Park
Annual Events in Gaithersburg
- Gaithersburg Saint Patricks Day Parade
- Gaithersburg Book Festival
- Gaithersburg Summer Performance Series
- Fourth of July Fireworks
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair
- Celebrate Gaithersburg
- Gaithersburg Labor Day Parade
- Oktoberfest at the Kentlands
- Winter Lights at Seneca Creek State Park