The Funk Parade is a one-of-a-kind street fair, parade and music festival in the U Street neighborhood of Washington DC. The free event is designed to bring people together through music, dance and the visual arts, while celebrating the musical heritage of the historic U Street district. The neighborhood will be enlivened throughout the day with nearly 100 local acts at over 30 performance areas and venues, artists and vendors, food, workshops and spontaneous acts of soul.
The parade will include a variety of dancers, marching bands, drum corps, beat-boxers, junkyard drummers, pot-bangers and more. Several of the area’s most popular music venues will open their doors in the evening offering free, live and local funk-inspired bands immediately following the Funk Parade.
Date: Saturday May 6, 2017 (This Year's Details to Be Updated)
Location: The U Street Metro Station is within walking distance to all of the events.
Street Fair - noon-7 p.m. Music, dance, dragon and lion dancers, art and workshops will be located along U Street from 9th to 16th St. NW. Washington DC.
Mighty Funk Parade - 4-5 p.m. The parade will begin at T Street NW and Florida Avenue NW, in front of the Howard Theatre, proceeding west on T Street, turning right on Vermont Avenue, and left onto U Street. It will proceed on U Street NW for several blocks ending in front of the Lincoln Theatre.
Music Festival - 7-10 p.m. Free performances at a variety of venues throughout the U Street Corridor. See locations and more details below.
2017 Headlining Performers
Backyard Band, Sun Ra Arkestra, and Sinkane, Nag Champa, Champion Sounds, Dior Ashley Brown and The dAb Band, Julie Outrage Clones of Funk, Pebble to Pearl, Mokoomba, and Aztec Sun.
The parade will begin at T Street NW and Florida Avenue NW, in front of the Howard Theatre, proceeding west on T Street, turning right on Vermont Avenue, and left onto U Street. It will proceed on U Street NW for several blocks ending in front of the Lincoln Theatre. Everyone is invited to participate, come ready to sing, dance, clap and have a great time. Participants include Batala Washington, Duke Ellington Radical Elite Show Band, Royal Knights Marching Band Options Charter School Marching Band, Eastern High School Blue & White Marching Machine and more.
Music Festival Venues
- U Street Music Hall - 1115 U St NW Washington DC
- Tropicalia - 2001 14th St. NW Washington DC
- Solly’s: Flashband Project - 1942 11th St. NW Washington DC
- DC9 Nightclub - 1942 11th St. NW Washington DC
- Patty Boom Boom - 1359 U St NW, Washington, DC
- Liv Nightclub DC - 2001 11th St NW, Washington DC
- The Brixton - 901 U St NW Washington DC
- Twins Jazz Club - 1344 U St NW Washington DC
- Jojo Restaurant and Bar - 1518 U St. NW Washington DC
- Busboys and Poets - 2021 14th St NW Washington, DC
- Ben’s Next Door - 1211 U St NW, Washington, DC
- Dukem Restaurant - 1114-1118 U St NW Washington DC
More About U Street