For some, it's been a holiday tradition for nearly 30 years, and there truly is something for everyone at Frontier City's annual Frightfest event, a marquee Halloween happening in the Oklahoma City metro area. Along with one of the top haunted houses around, Frightfest includes costumed ghouls and monsters, a trick-or-treat trail for the kids, live music, dancing and other Halloween-related activities.
About the Event
Organizers refer to Frightfest as "family by day and fright by night," with the family-oriented activities taking place in the afternoon and the more adult-oriented scares beginning around later in the evening.
Frightfest is held at the Frontier City amusement park, located in northeast Oklahoma City along Interstate 35, between Hefner Road and NE 122nd Street. After exiting I-35 at Hefner, get on the North I-35 Service Road and travel about a quarter of a mile to the park entrance. If coming from the north, exit at NE 122nd and travel south along the service road.
Admission to Frightfest activities is free with park admission, with the exception of an extra charge for the haunted house. See a full Frontier City profile for more on park admission and parking prices. Also, ask about "Fright-Fast" passes that allow the holder to skip the haunted house line entirely.
The annual Frightfest event at Frontier City features a number of activities:
- The Nightmare Haunted House begins at 7 p.m. and is not for the faint of heart, nor the little kids. It has 30 rooms, each with its own brand of scare.
- Visit a variety of Scare Zones such as the Field of Screams or the 3 Pigg Brothers slaughterhouse. Two new areas add last year are the voodoo-themed Burial Bayou and the Twisted Tunnels of Terror.
- The Carnival of Chaos Fun House began in 2017.
- The FreakShow Deluxe is twice a night in the in the Opera House. It's not suitable for young kids.
- Booville, on the other hand, is perfect for the kids. They can stroll the trick-or-treat trail, visit the pumpkin patch and enjoy pumpkin decorating, storytelling, face painting and more.
- Enjoy Halloween dance parties throughout the evenings at Thunderbird Plaza and the Main Street area.
- Spooktacular Shows include a magical production with illusions, saloon shows, a gunfighter stunt show and more.
- And the Festival of Fright Parade begins nightly at 6:30 on Main Street.
Work at the Fest
Want to be a featured player in the haunted house? Perhaps you're an experienced make-up artist. Typically in early to mid September, Frontier City puts out a call for seasonal Frightfest actors and staff. Character actors get in costume and/or prosthetics, and some even have dialogue, while crew assist with costume and make-up. Theatrical experience is required for acting positions, and all applicants must be at least 16 years of age.