Secret Locals' Destination
Located just across Esplanade Avenue where the French Quarter meets the Marigny, is a little known enclave of music clubs, bars and restaurants. When I say little known I am talking about the many visitors who come to the city. The locals know the area very well indeed. The five and six hundred blocks of Frenchmen are a world removed from the French Quarter. The feeling is much like a typical old New Orleans neighborhood but the action goes on into the wee hours of the morning and you can enjoy yourself any night of the week including the usually dead Monday. The music is varied and you can always find something that will please you. You can choose Jazz, Blues, Latin, Reggae or just about any other type of music all being played live just for you.
Street Of Live Music Clubs
Frenchmen Street, with its dozen music club offers the highest concentration of live music venues outside the Quarter. Ironically, you would not even know of its existence unless someone told you about it. One thing for certain, once you discover it you will want to come back for more. Oh, and by the way, admission to most of the clubs is free and the price of a drink is most reasonable.
The Best Clubs
- Snug Harbor - 626 Frenchmen
- Spotted Cat - 623 Frenchmen
- Sweet Lorraine's - 1931 St. Claude
- Mimi's in the Marigny - 2601 Royal
- La Maison de la Musique - 508 Frenchmen
- The Blue Nile Night Club - 532 Frenchmen
- Three Muses - 536 Frenchmen Street
- Apple Barrel - 609 Frenchmen
- d.b.a. - 618 Frenchmen
- Cafe Negril -606 Frenchmen
- Check Point Charlie's - 501 Esplanade
Restaurants And More
If you would like to dine on your night out there are a number of restaurants that cater to the late night crowd. There is no need to fear that you may drink too much and not be able to drive. Taxicabs constantly patrol the area during peak activity hours.
The Best Restaurants
- Mona's Cafe - 504 Frenchmen - Mediterrean food
- Snug Harbor - Great burgers and steaks
- The Three Muses (small trips) 536 Frenchmen Street.
- Praline Connection - 542 Frenchmen - Soul food
- The Palm Tavern - 606 Frenchmen
- Adolfo's - 611 Frenchmen - Italian and seafood
- 13 Restaurant & Bar - 517 Frenchmen - Sandwiches and Po Boys
- The Bank Cafe - 2001 Burgundy - Bar and pub food
- Buffa's Bar - 532 Esplanade Ave. - Po Boys
- Bywater Bar-b-que 3162 Dauphine St. - Pulled pork ribs and chicken
- The Marigny Brasserie - Corner of Frenchmen & Royal - Cajun/Creole
- Cafe Unique - 2529 Dauphine St. - Soul food