Alexandria hosts three series of free outdoor movies during the summer months and going into fall in some cases:
- Cinema Del Ray Outdoor Movies
- Comcast Outdoor Film Festival
- Saturday Cinema in Carlyle
Bring a blanket or folding camp chairs to enjoy free movies in the heart of Northern Virginia. Plan a family-friendly evening or make it a date night. Take a picnic basket or come early and enjoy a light dinner from Chick-fil-A or Domino's Pizza; top it off with ice cream from Ben & Jerry's.
In the event of inclement weather, you can check the status of any showing by calling Alexandria's special events hotline at (703) 746-5592.
Take a look at a map of Alexandria to find each of the movie venues.
Cinema Del Ray Outdoor Movies
The Cinema Del Ray Outdoor Movies are shown on three Saturday nights at the Mt. Vernon Recreation Center, 2701 Commonwealth Ave. in Alexandria. Be there by 7 p.m. (or dusk), and you'll see recently released family-friendly titles on June 17, July 15, and August 19. Movies include:
- Saturday, June 17: Sing
- Saturday, July 15: Zootopia
- Saturday, August 19: Beauty and the Beast, and Moana
Comcast Outdoor Film Festival
Movies at the Comcast Outdoor Film Festival are shown at Waterfront Park, 1 Print Street, in Alexandria. As always, be there by 7 p.m. (or dusk), and you'll see recently released, family-friendly titles on July 14 and 15. Movies include:
- Friday, July 14: Moana
- Saturday, July 15: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Saturday Cinema in Carlyle
For the series Saturday Cinema in Carlyle, free films will be shown on the first Saturday of July, August, September, and October. Be at 300 John Carlyle Street, John Carlyle Square in Alexandria's Carlyle district by sundown and you'll see outstanding classic films.
Movies and dates include:
- Saturday, July 1: Top Gun
- Saturday, August 5: Caddyshack
- Saturday, September 2: When Harry Met Sally
- Saturday, October 7: The Birds
Other Options in the Greater D.C. Area
If you don't find exactly what you need on this list, there are plenty of other options further afield in the greater metropolitan area, most of which are free. See what's playing at other outdoor movie venues in:
- Virginia: at Rosslyn, Crystal City, Reston, and Falls Church
- Washington, D.C.: at Capitol Riverfront, NoMa Junction, Union Market, Farragut Square, Georgetown Waterfront Park, Martin Luther King Memorial, and Harrison Field
- Maryland: at National Harbor, Bethesda, North Bethesda, and Columbia