Stressed out? Overextended? Maybe looking for something to do to ease the strains of urban life while on a shoestring budget? Affordable relief in Montreal -- in the form of an ancient mindful practice -- is much closer than you think.
The benefits of meditation are numerous and increasingly undeniable as a growing body of empirical research confirms anecdotal evidence touting meditation's positive impact in reducing stress, acting like a fountain of youth on the mind and body.
Mind Over Matter
According to Dr. Herbert Benson, a leading Harvard Medical School researcher, 60% to 90% of visits to the doctor are stress-related complaints that respond poorly to drugs and/or surgery. Yet the regular practice of meditation:
- may reduce symptoms linked to stress such as anxiety, depression, cardiovascular disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, high blood pressure, chronic pain, insomnia, sexual disorders and fertility problems;
- may reduce the frequency, severity and duration of epileptic seizures;
- may increase empathy or the ability to feel what others are feeling;
- may reduce aggression and violence;
- may induce a sense of calm and happiness;
- may help overcome addictions; and
- does not appear to cause negative side effects.
Meditation in Montreal
Meditation classes in Montreal are sometimes free of charge, opening the age-old practice to people of all budgets and backgrounds. And while learning how to meditate is easy, making the practice a habit is more of a challenge.
Sometimes joining a group can offer enough motivation to keep going. The centers listed below are all located in and around Montreal and offer free and/or by donation meditation sessions.
Sahaja Yoga Meditation
Teaching a form of meditation called Sahaja yoga, some medical studies have suggested this "style" may be particularly beneficial in reducing epileptic seizures, asthma attacks and menopausal symptoms.
Online classes are available as well as in-person classes in Montreal.
Rigpa Canada - Montreal Chapter
Tibetan Buddhist organization offering evening meditations open to all faiths.
Neighborhood: Plateau Mont-Royal
INFO: (514) 490-9092
Yoga on the Park
Guided meditation and Dharma talk hosted by Yoga on the Park in NDG Sunday mornings. Suggested donation $5. All proceeds support charitable organizations.
INFO: (514) 712-YOGA (9642)