Date: December 10, 2016
The Museums by Candlelight event offers free holiday-themed programs at over 20 museums and historic sites in Frederick County, Maryland. This is a great way to explore the region and get in the spirit of the holiday season. The event highlights the region’s history with period demonstrations, living history vignettes, hands-on crafts, refreshments, tours, music, holiday decorations and historic settings by candlelight. The program is self-guided allowing you to visit as many or few locations as you wish. Special children's activities are featured at most locations.
Sites of special interest in 2015 include:
- ·Catoctin Furnace Historical Society – Learn about the tradition of Kris Kringling, who danced, sang, and ate from house to house throughout this ironworkers’ village, in the circa 1810 log Collier’s House.
- ·Maryland Room, C. Burr Artz Public Library – Meet local authors, hear holiday music performed on the harp and flugelhorn, and enjoy displays of nutcrackers and model trains.
- ·South Mountain Heritage Society – Hear the sounds of the season on an 1862 Pomplitz and Rodewald pipe organ in the recently restored Resurrection Reformed Church, which was used as a field hospital during the Civil War.
- Barbara Fritchie House - 154 W. Patrick St. Frederick, MD (301) 600-4047
- Bjorlee Museum - 101 Clarke Place Frederick, MD (301) 360-2011
- Brunswick Railroad Museum - 40 W. Potomac St. Brunswick, MD (301) 834-7100
- Catoctin Furnace Historical Society - 12607 Catoctin Hollow Road Thurmont, MD
- Cunningham Falls State Park - 12704 State Route 806. Thurmont, MD
- Dahlgren Chapel – 6133 Old National Pike Boonsboro, MD (301) 317-7090
- Frederick County Fire and Rescue Museum - 300 South Seton Avenue Emmitsburg, MD (301) 898-5578
- Hessian Barracks -101 Clarke Place Frederick, MD (301) 360-2011
- Maryland Room/Frederick County Public Libraries - 110 E. Patrick St. Frederick, MD (301) 600-1368
- Middletown Valley Historical Society - 305 W. Main St. Middletown, MD (301) 371-7582
- Monocacy National Battlefield - 5201 Urbana Pike 4801 Urbana Pike Frederick, MD (301) 662-3515
- Mount Olivet Cemetery/Francis Scott Key Monument - 515 S. Market St. Frederick, MD (301) 662-1164
- Museum of Frederick County History - 24 E Church St. Frederick, MD (301) 663-1188
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine - 48 E. Patrick St. Frederick, MD (301) 695-1864
- National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton - 333 S. Seton Ave. Emmitsburg, MD (301) 447-6606
- Roger Brooke Taney House - 121 S Bentz St. Frederick, MD (301) 663-7880
- Steiner House - 368 West Patrick Street Frederick, MD (301) 694-9660
- Thurmont Historical Society - 11 North Church Street, Thurmont, MD