The Frederick County Fair is one of the oldest agricultural fairs in the state of Maryland dating back to 1822 when it was known as the Cattle Show and Fair. The annual event promotes and educates the public about agriculture and is planned by the Frederick County Agricultural Society which is made up of 25 shareholders who own the fairgrounds. Over the years the fair has changed names several times.
Today, the Frederick County Fair is officially named the Great Frederick Fair. The event is held each September and features live entertainment, tractor pulls, carnival rides, an equine expo and showcase, agricultural events, educational activities, contests, food and lots more. The fairgrounds features 44 buildings on over 40 acres.
Date and Times: September 15-23, 2017, 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E. Patrick St. Frederick, Maryland. (301) 663-5896. Frederick is located just north of Montgomery County and is accessible from I-70, I-270, US 15, and US 40.
Directions from Washington DC: Take I-270N to I-70 (Exit 32), bear right to I-70 East, take South St. Exit, turn right onto E. South St., at the first stop sign turn onto Franklin St. and follow signs to the Fairground Entrance. See a map
Parking is limited on the Frederick Fairgrounds. ($7/vehicle on Fairgrounds lot) You may park at the Highland St.
(Lot C) property across from Gate 4 and Monocacy Blvd.(Lot D). There is a fee of $5 per car.
$8 per person. Ages 10 & under are free.
Opening Day, Friday, Sept. 16, Admission is $5 per person, ages 10 and under are free.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, Seniors are free (parking fee still applies)
Wednesday is Military Appreciation Day, active duty military in uniform or with ID are free until 6 p.m.
Free Activities and Events
- Horse Pull Contest - Light Weight and Heavy Weight classes
- Harness Racing - The races at the fair are strictly exhibition and are not pari-mutual betting. The Great Frederick Fair is one of only two fairs offering harness racing in Maryland.
- Celebrity Harness Racing - Local celebrities compete in Harness Racing in front of the grandstand
- Kids Harness Racing - Free for children ages 4-9 years old
- Kids Pedal Pull - Free for children ages 5-10 years old. The Kiddie Pedal Pull lets kids Dream Big and imagine what it is like to be in a tractor pull, while their family and friends cheer them on.
- Stick Horse Workshop & Contest - Children ages 1-10 will have the chance to make their own stick horses.
- Antique Car Parade and Carriage Parade - “Old Timer’s Day” parade of carriages, carts, buggies and horse drawn implements
- Farm and Garden Demos - Demonstrations throughout the week include bluegrass music, home canning, musical performances, corn shelling , homemade root beer making, butter making, boutonnieres, making plastic, crafts, forging, how to design a patio garden, homemade ice cream, bookmarkers, beekeeping, container gardening and a variety of demos by local FFA chapters.
More About Frederick
- 15 Best Things to See and Do in Frederick, MD
- Frederick Photo Gallery
- Top 10 Western Maryland Attractions