Francis' Ladybug Boogie
NOTE: This ride is now closed. Francis' Ladybug Boogie was a ride in Disney California Adventure's Bug's Land area. To make room for its new Marvel-Themed section, Bug's Land closed in September, 2018. Until the new Marvel area is finished in 2020, you can read about the old ride.
Remembering Francis' Ladybug Boogie
The ride vehicles at Francis' Ladybug Boogie are cute as cute can be, bright red ladybugs with raised eyebrows, as if they suspect the intentions of every rider. It's a little bit like the Mad Tea Party at Disneyland, but not as dizzy-making.
The ladybug-shaped cars run on a figure-eight course, similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. The most fun thing about riding it is that you feel like you're always just avoiding a big collision.
What You Need to Know About Francis' Ladybug Boogie
- Location: Flik's Fun Fair in Bug's Land
- Rating: ★★
- Restrictions: None, but you can't hold your kids on your lap or in your arms.
- Ride Time: 90 seconds
- Recommended for: This ride is good for small children.
- Fun Factor: Good for little ones, more boring for older kids.
- Wait Factor: Low. Seldom more than 10 minutes, even on busy days.
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low according to most people, but a few complain that it throws you around.
- Nausea Factor: Medium, unless you follow the tips below and get your Ladybug spinning really fast. A few people say this ride makes them more nauseous than the Disneyland teacups.
- Seating: Ride vehicle look like ladybugs. Riders sit around the edges, facing the center spinner. You have to step up to get in.
- Accessibility: You will have to transfer from your wheelchair or ECV into the ride vehicle, by yourself or with help from your traveling companions. Enter with everyone else.
How to Have More Fun on Francis' Ladybug Boogie
- This ride does not have safety restraints, so it's up to you to keep your kids seated.
- Some people say turning the center wheel on Francis will make you spin faster, but it won't. Instead, get the best boogie out of your bug by getting as close together as you can on one side of the car and leaning your weight into the turns. Some people say, sitting close to the door will also help you spin faster.
- Hang on tight if you're wearing clothing made of slippery fabric. Otherwise, you'll be sliding around all over your car.
- Francis is an easy ride for one adult who has two or three kids with them because you can all sit in the same ride vehicle.
- If you want to know what the ride's spinning is like, you can watch this point of view video at YouTube.
- Don't be snooty. If you love to ride the teacups at Disneyland, why are you standing there being all nose-in-the-air about this ride?
- All of Flik's Fun Fair is cute after dark. Even if you already rode Francis, walk through it again in the evening to enjoy the lightning bugs' glow.
- Reviewers on Yelp give the Ladybug Boogie a medium rating. You can read some of their comments to find out more about whether it's for you or not.
More About California Adventure Rides
You can see all the California Adventure rides at a glance on the California Adventure Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with Radiator Springs Racers and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Francis' Ladybug Boogie
Francis is a whip-style ride, similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. The cars move in a figure-eight pattern and sometimes switch up, creating the illusion of an impending near-collision. Mater and Francis aren't the only spinning rides in California Adventure, either. There's also Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters.
Boogie has lots of meanings, including leaving a place and it's also a style of blues music played on the piano. In this case, it refers to dancing to fast music as in "let's boogie with Francis to the jazz music."
In the Bug's Life film, Francis is the circus' drag queen performer. I guess that actually makes him the not-a-lady bug. Other insects are always mistaking him for a real girl, which may be why he looks so angry. You'll find this phrase at the bottom of the big record at the ride: "He's No Lady." Actor Denis Leary was the voice of Francis in the film.