Located in downtown Louisville, Fourth Street Live! is a block filled with entertainment options. The area is usually only open to foot traffic (there are occasions, when there aren't events at Fourth Street Live, when driving the street is possible) and serves as a pedestrian mall with nightlife, too. The attraction Fourth Street Live! is, in fact, only a portion of 4th Street itself. Specifically, the stretch of 4th Street between Liberty and Muhammad Ali. The area is across the street from the Seelbach Hotel.
What is at Fourth Street Live!?
- Gordon Biersch Brewing Company: A brewery featuring house-brewed beer and a pub menu. (Want to go local? Here are more Louisville Breweries, too.)
- Hard Rock Cafe: A theme restaurant decorated and celebrating rock and roll music and memorabilia.
- The Fudgery: Known for their traditional fudge, The Fudgery serves up sweets. (Want to go local? Here are more Louisville Candy Shops, too.
- Maker's Mark Bourbon House & Lounge: A bar and restaurant serving up southern food and, you guessed it, bourbon. This destination is part of the Urban Bourbon Trail.
- Howl at the Moon: With a party vibe, complete with dueling pianists, the crowd is encouraged to sing along.
- PBR Louisville: Club life with urban and country appeal, including bull riding.
- Sully's Irish Pub: A great hangout for the younger set, with DJs, events, and drink specials
- The Sports & Social Club: A bowling alley, pub, and restaurant. Casual and spacious.
- Tengo Sed Cantina: Mexican food and drink in a lively atmosphere complete with an outdoor space overlooking 4th Street.
In addition to food options at all of the restaurants and pubs, there is a food court on the upper level too, where downtown workers can grab a lunch at Wendy's, Taco Bell, Subway, and more.
The area is convenient for anyone living, working, or visiting downtown Louisville. Fourth Street Live! is within walking distance of ten hotels and the Kentucky International Convention Center. The hotels within closest proximity are: Seelbach Hotel, Hyatt Regency, Louisville Marriott Downtown, The Galt House—which has a wonderful Christmas display every year—and The Brown Hotel. Yes, that Brown Hotel, home of the Hot Brown Sandwich.
What events are hosted at Fourth Street Live!?
- The University of Louisville's annual spring run—Run for the L of It—is a 5K beginning and ending at Fourth Street Live!
- The finish line of the Louisville Ironman Triathlon is positioned at Fourth Street Live!
- Annual events celebrating the Kentucky Derby, concerts, parties, and more.
- Celebrations for the University of Louisville's athletic teams.
- Free summer concerts. Fourth Street Live! hosts free country music shows every Friday night, starting at 7 p.m.
- Mardi Gras festivities including live music, a cake eating contest, and a competition of who can wear the most beads. There is a bar crawl featuring drink specials, too.
- Halloween trick-or-treating for the younger set.
- Light Up Louisville: an annual holiday event, the official start of the winter holidays in Louisville.
In town for Derby? There's tons to do!!
History of Fourth Street Live!
The entertainment area known as Fourth Street Live! opened up for business in 2004. The design is part of a larger effort to revitalize downtown Louisville. Fourth Street (as a street) has a long history of being a bustling shopping district in the city, so the idea wasn't a stretch. The concept of having a pedestrian mall on Fourth Street dates back to the 1940s. Different plans were approved, implemented, and, in some cases, dismissed. It is now a bustling attraction. And while it is primarily thought of by locals as a tourist destination, even resident of Louisville head to Fourth Street Live!
now and again for concerts, bowling parties, and other social events.