01 of 08
Four Seasons Nevis, a Five-Star Caribbean Luxury Resort
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, The Only Four Seasons in the Caribbean
Four Seasons Resort Nevis is Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts' only Caribbean resort -- so it had better be good. It is.
This beachfront property delivers the kind of refined guest experience and gracious service for which the Four Seasons hotel brand is celebrated. No surprise: Four Seasons Resort Nevis possesses Five Stars from Forbes and Five Diamonds from AAA.
It is a traditional Caribbean resort, with palm tree-lined walkways and conservatively decorated rooms. Its timeless, not trendy, approach claims a loyal, largely American and Canadian guest clientele of both couples and families, many of whom return every year.
The property reminded me of a private club...for demanding luxury travelers who know what they want from a Caribbean getaway, and find it at Four Seasons Resort Nevis.
Location of Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The resort is set on the sleepy, refined British West Indies island of Nevis in the eastern Caribbean. Nevis is the smaller sister island of St. Kitts. (I learned by inspecting my passport stamp that its actual name is St. Christopher.)
Four Seasons Nevis is reachable in two main ways:
• Nonstop flight to St. Kitts from North American gateways including NYC, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Toronto; then a half-hour boat launch provided by the resort
• Or nonstop to San Juan, Puerto Rico, then a connecting flight right to Nevis
What Is Four Seasons Resort Nevis Like?
The property was built in 1991 and was extensively remodeled after a 2008 hurricane. Then as now, this Four Seasons hotel is designed to look like what it is – an upscale Caribbean beach resort – rather than a Balinese temple or a Spanish-Mediterranean estate.
Four Seasons Resort Nevis is a low-key tropical resort with the discreet air of a refined getaway hotel. But beneath that sleepy exterior, the resort operates in confident, fine-tuned fashion. Four Seasons Nevis knows its guests, and its overall mission is to delight them. It succeeds.
• The resort manages to be both a couples' getaway and a family vacation destination
• Rooms and suites are sunny and spacious
• The resort's three-quarter-mile-long Pinney's Beach, its pools, and its cabanas are pretty and inviting
• Its F&B (food and beverage) is splendid, with an array of casual yet stylish restaurants serving expertly cooked chefs' creations, fresh-caught seafood, and rum cocktails
• Its spa is an elegant escape for body and soul
• Its golf course and tennis club are first-rate
• And its unquestionably five-star service is close to perfect
Is Four Seasons Resort Nevis For You?
You will probably love Four Seasons Resort Nevis if:
• You're a connoisseur of classic beach resorts that are livelier after breakfast than after dinner
• You want to be on a secluded, tranquil beach
• You seek a complete resort that you won't have to leave
• You're looking for a deluxe getaway for two
• Or for your sophisticated brood
• You're a golfer, tennis player, or scuba diver
• Or a spa aficionada
• You like the culture and food of the Caribbean's English-speaking islands
• You expect your resort's staffers to make you feel loved
You may not fall for Four Seasons Resort Nevis if:
• You prefer cutting-edge design hotels or modern, minimalist hotel rooms
• You want a beach resort on a busy hotel strip such as Cancun or Waikiki
• Or you want a very social hotel with more nightlife on-property than this resort's lobby bar
• You like a resort with organized activities
• You feel more comfortable with all-inclusive pricing
Are you thinking "I'll love it"? Then check out the rooms & suites at Four Seasons Nevis >>Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Guest Rooms at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Guest Accommodations at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
This is a medium-sized resort with 197 rooms and suites. They are set in a dozen two-story wood buildings called "cottages," spread over a half-mile on either side of the resort's main building.
Rooms may have an ocean view (overlooking the beach, but set back a little), a lesser ocean-side view, or an island "mountain" view. Of course, ocean-view is preferable. Second-floor rooms have a much better vantage point over the Caribbean than ground-floor accoms. (See room photos and descriptions.)
The beach is no more than a few minutes' walk from any room. Most rooms are situated no more than a 10-minute walk from the lobby or pools. Getting to the spa, gym, and one restaurant may require calling for a golf-cart lift.
Basic ("Deluxe") Rooms at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The majority of the resort's rooms are Deluxe rooms.
• They are spacious and comfortable, with vast closet and drawer space and a roomy bathroom
• The look is vaguely Caribbean plantation style, with mahogany dressers and nighttables, white-robed beds, white louvered balcony doors, and peach walls
• I found Deluxe rooms excessively spare, with undistinguished white tile floors
Get a Room! No, Get a Suite at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The resort's 48 Luxury and Ocean Suites are more cheerful and inviting. They are also considerably larger than the already quite spacious Deluxe rooms.
• Suites have one bedroom plus a separate living room, entrance hallway, and desk area
• Suites feature a sizable deck (on the second floor) or patio (on the ground floor) with loungers and tables
• Bathrooms are huge, with walk-in showers and deep soaking tubs
Top of the Line: "Afterglow" and "Seascape" Suites
San Francisco design firm BAMO decorated these two suites, the resort's biggest and highest-priced.
• Their enormous space can be configured as two or three bedroom
• These suites were designed for lounging, with numerous, cushy seating areas and a furnished wraparound terrace
• Suites' soothing accent color is the same soft aqua as the Caribbean surf they overlook
Standard Room Amenities at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
All guest accommodations are well equipped, offering:
• Outdoor balcony or (on the ground floor) garden patio
• Flatscreen TVs with many cable channels
• Wonderfully comfortable king beds (or two doubles) with duvet and fine linens
• (See what Four Seasons' sleep doctor says resetting your sleep clock on vacation)
• iHome iPod/iPhone docking/charging unit
• Complimentary (but slow) wifi (faster upgrades are pricey)
• Bottled water on the house
• Minibar (but no coffee maker)
• L'Occitane toiletries in good-sized bottles
Villas ("Residences") at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Within the four neighborhoods of luxury Residences just beyond the resort's grounds, 42 are available to Four Seasons guests. They furnish an ideal compromise if you're weighing a hotel stay versus a private villa rental.
• Ranging from two to six bedrooms, Residences feel more like homes than hotel suites
• Residences include daily housekeeping service and a private golf cart for getting around
• Residences involve a minimum-length stay that varies with the season
Do you like to feel important when you're a hotel guest? You will at Four Seasons Nevis >>Continue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
Service at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Five-Star Service at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Like all Four Seasons properties, the Nevis resort emphasizes five-star service. With few exceptions that I could see, hotel personnel perform their jobs well and furnish a very high level of efficiency and warmth.
• Staffers know your name, and use it, with accuracy and respect
• Things are done when they should be: golf-cart shuttles arrive quickly, wakeup calls are 100%, bellboys deliver luggage pronto
• Guest services are performed lavishly and generously. When asked if I'd like a cookie in the spa lounge, I said yes. Moments later, a trio of giant, fresh-baked, chocolate-chip and Nevis cashew cookies came to me
• Guests can access and print their boarding passes free of charge at the lobby computer
• Guests can easily walk around the resort, but golf-cart lifts rarely involve more than a couple of minutes' wait
• Housekeeping is ultra-thorough, with evening turndown (though without the usual chocolates)
• Housekeepers respect eco-conscious guests' preferences not to have their linens and towels changed daily (This wish is ignored at most resorts. All the same, my terry robe, worn once, was whisked away to be washed)
• A registered nurse on-property attends to guests at no charge (I had swimmer's ear…gone in a day, thanks to Nurse Roxane)
• Every section of rooms is equipped with a laundry room offering free wash and dry, plus detergent
Staffers Show Their Own Personalities
What's better than this standard of service excellence? Excellent service that isn't molded into a corporate style.
Resort staffers are permitted (or encouraged) to exhibit their own personality and charm. They are passionate about Four Seasons Nevis and its home island. They are not shy about answering your questions, or even volunteering details about the property and Nevis.
• One of my housekeepers absolutely radiated love and faith
• Another took the time to explain to me the subtle cultural differences between Nevis and St. Kitts
• Another told me how to distinguish between West Indian islands' accents from Nevis, Barbados, and St. Lucia
• Still another staffer told me which plant leaves make medicinal teas, and offered to help me gather some
Foodie alert: Four Seasons Nevis' dining, both international & hyper-local >>Continue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
Dining & Drinking at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Distinctive Dining at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Dining is one of the pleasures of Four Seasons Resort Nevis, created by gifted chefs who dedicate their careers to Four Seasons kitchens. Guests at the Nevis property have a choice of on-property dining venues, menus, and styles.
Coral Grill may have a casual name, but it's the property's romantic, fine-dining restaurant.
• Guests may dine in the softly lit, dark-wood dining room or on a cozy open-air terrace
• Coral Grill's tempting menu ranges from Nevis surf and turf (spiny lobster and grass-fed steak) to superb chef's creations like short ribs with a tempura crust
• The kitchen aces chocolate desserts; the soufflé and "cast-iron brownie" are outstanding
• Servers are attentive, informed, graceful, and hard-working
Mango is Four Seasons Resort Nevis's casual yet elegant beachfront restaurant, with a view of St. Kitts.
• Mango is set on a deck at water's edge with a fully retractable white canvas roof, allowing star-gazing
• Mango's 101 Rums bar is a wonder, with tropical but not overly sweet cocktails, a vast rum list, and good wines to savor
• The locally sourced, "farm-to-fork" dinner-only menu covers Caribbean classics like jerk chicken, Indo-Caribbean roti, potato-like mashed cassava, plus global chef's creations (there's a kids' menu, too)
• Toothsome house specialties not to miss: lobster fritters, rum-glazed ribs, spiced beef-and-plantain kebabs, lobster mac 'n' cheese
Ocean Terrace, an outdoor eatery, serves delicious Italian specialties with a tropical twist.
• Menu favorites include calamari fritti, spiny lobster risotto, and pineapple carpaccio
• Drink choices cover creative cocktails, Italian and global wines, and three types of sangria
Neve restaurant serves breakfast.
• Guests may choose buffet-style or menu ordering
• Buffet highlights: banana bread and pastries with house-made nut butters; custom omelets and tropical fruit smoothies; house-smoked salmon
Cabana is an outdoor bar and grill open for lunch and dinner.
• Its atmosphere is breezy (swimsuits OK!)
• Its menu mixes Italian dishes with fresh seafood; kids' menus are fun, too
• Lunch, afternoon snacks, and dinner are served
At the Library Bar, guests marvel at their Four Seasons day gone by and plan their next one.
• Take your suave bartender's recommendation of Brinley Shipwreck Rum made on St. Kitts in four subtle flavors (my choice is vanilla)
Dive 'n' Dine: You Catch It, You Eat It
The resort's unique Dive 'n' Dine program invites guests to gather their own dinner. No, not in a food market, but in the Caribbean Sea. It's as thrilling as it sounds.
• Guests who are certified divers join the chef, also a diver, to hunt beneath the waves for Caribbean spiny lobsters
• The chef knows just which rocks harbor the big crustaceans
• Once he teases them out, you nab your critter with a lasso shooter
• And that's your dinner entrée. Humans 1, Lobsters 0
Private Dining at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Room service is 24 hours and nicely done. Even more special: In-Villa Private Chef Experience, with one fo the resort's culinary stars cooking for you in your suite or villa.
Off-Property Dining at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Many guests, especially lucky ones visiting for more than a few nights, explore local eateries near the resort.
• Sunshine's, steps down Pinney's Beach, is a lively spot festooned with American college banners. Its island chow, especially fresh seafood and jerk chicken, is terrific, and the bar's boozy Killer Bee punch is locally renowned. One sip, and you'll feel the sting
• Paradise Drive-Thru, a couple of miles down de road, sounds like fast food. But it's a relaxed outdoor spot whose husband-wife chef-owners cook their ribs and chicken with patience, passion, and peppers
• Montpelier Plantation, a colonial sugar mill now a Relais & Chateaux inn, serves glamorous multi-course dinners lit by candelabras. Top choice: the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings, relished in the mill's 200-year-old stone tower
Your virtual appointment at the seductive Spa at Four Seasons Resort Nevis >>Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
Spa at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Sensational Spa at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The Spa at Four Seasons Resort Nevis caters to luxury travelers who expect a lot from a hotel spa. They get it here: a vast range of services, performed by gifted practitioners in beautiful surroundings.
The spa is indoor-outdoor. Post-treatment, guests can linger on a garden patio, in a refreshingly chilled plunge pool with a view of misty Mt. Nevis, or in a Jacuzzi that resembles a jungle waterfall.
Massages cover all styles and specialities: for jet lag, maternity, athletic muscles, etc.
• Massages are conducted with gusto, flair, and your choice of locally made body oils
• The couple's massage is conducted in a pastel-painted, miniature Caribbean cottage
• Massages can be ordered in your hotel room, too
Body treatments are pure indulgence.
• The most popular choice, the Golden Sugar Skin Buff, involves a scrub and rubdown with botanical nutrients and actual gold particles
Facials are highly customized and effective.
• No matter the type of facial you choose – such as skin-lifting, hydrating, teen-targeted – you will emerge with a visible glow and silky skin
Manicures and pedicures are exacting and long-lasting. Hair services are offered, too.
Multi-treatment spa packages include the Gentlemen's Retreat, the irresistibly named Golf Widow, and the Paradise Duet, for two. Packages offer a bento box lunch option (shown on the previous page)
• The resort's spa page
Will you make a splash at Four Seasons Resort Nevis? >>Continue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
Beach & Pools at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Get Wet at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Four Seasons Resort Nevis is ideal for active guests.
A Storybook Caribbean Beach
The resort's beach, Pinney's Beach, offers nearly a mile of fine golden sand.
• The gentle, crystalline surf hovers around 83º
• Loungers and umbrellas are ample
• Of course, there's waiter and bar service
Pools at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Three large pools flank the beach.
• The Garden Pool, favored by families, is semi-circular, with coves and islands
• The sizable Reflection Pool has a splash area and a lap lane of 118 feet (swimmers: 46 lengths to the mile); it's adults-only and a quiet zone
• The freeform, infinity-edge Ocean Pool appeals to families and to lap swimmers, with an 83-foot lap lane; it offers chilled face towels and waiter service
The Cute "Beach Houses" Are Really Cabanas
A quartet of "Beach Houses" are the resort's charming version of cabanas.
• They really are miniature wooden cottages, with windows and an open deck
• Furnishings include several chaises and couches
• Amenities: TV, wifi, soft drinks-stocked fridge, magazines, sunblock, towels
• There's waiter and bar service
• An indulgent option: lunch in your Beach House, featuring fresh-caught seafood grilled before your eyes by a resort chef
Outstanding golf, tennis, & fitness at Four Seasons Resort Nevis >>Continue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
Golf, Tennis, & Fitness at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Great Golf at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The resort is a renowned golf destination.
• The 18-hole, par-71 course was designed by Robert Trent Jones II
• This rolling, scenic course overlooks mist-shrouded Mt. Nevis and the azure Caribbean
• Golfers can expect a pro shop, instructor, clubs rental, a driving range and putting green
• Hotel guests receive a hefty discount
• Golf vacations and packages
Tennis at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The resort is a haven for tennis players, with 10 courts.
• They're a mix of hard and clay
• Five courts are lit for night play
• There's a pro shop and pro instruction by Peter Burwash International
The Gym at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
• Is big and well-equipped
• Trainers are on call
• Fitness, yoga, and wellness classes are given
• A basketball half-court awaits dribblers
More Recreation at Four Seasons Resort Nevis
The resort's Water Sports Activity Desk manages a full range of options, such as:
• Snorkeling and scuba
• Fishing expeditions
• Sailing school
Shopping is a pleasure at the resort's
• Its three fun-to-browse boutiques: a Pro Shop, a clothing an accessories shop, and a fun souvenir and knickknack shop
• They sell a range of merch including sports gear; elegant sandals and leopard-print beach coverups; cute kids' clothes; and the resort's unbeatable Nevisian hot sauce (also sold in mini bottles for carryon packers)
Intrigued? Connect with Four Seasons Resort Nevis >>Continue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
Connect with Four Season Resort Nevis
Find Out More About Four Season Resort Nevis
• Four Seasons Resort Nevis website
• Hotel offers and deals (with a best-rate guarantee)
• Reservations & info by phone 869.469.1111 (Note: that's a Nevis number)
• Four Seasons Resort Nevis on Facebook
• On Twitter (@FSNevis)
• Pictures on Pinterest
• Videos on YouTube
• Nevis tourism site
Four Seasons Resort Nevis
Four Seasons Resort Nevis West Indies
P.O. Box 565, Pinney’s Beach
As is common in the travel industry, the Luxury Travel Expert was provided with a complimentary visit in order to describe the hotel. For more info, see our site's Ethics Policy.