Foreign Driver License

What Kind of License is Required to Drive in Arizona?

Confusing Road Signs
John Lund / Getty Images

Visitors to the United States from Other Countries

You may legally drive in Arizona as a visitor or tourist using a valid driver license from another country. An international driving permit is not required, but it is recommended because it can be printed in English and used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If it is not printed in English, you could run into difficulties here, so you should obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your country before you leave. They are printed in English. The  International Driving Permit must be issued by a country other than the United States.

The International Driving Permit used to be referred to as International Driver License. IDP is now the proper term.

Are You Really a Visitor? or Tourist?

If you are working in Arizona, attending school or have children attending school here, registered to vote in Arizona, operating a business in Arizona, or are otherwise defined by the Arizona Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) as an Arizona resident, you are required to apply for an Arizona Driver License.

A Few More Things To Know

If you drive in Arizona, the rules of the road may be different than where you are from, and may even be different than in other states of the U.S. You can review the Driver License Manual here (English and Spanish), which is used to test Arizona drivers before they can get a driver license.

Keep in mind that if you are renting a car in Arizona, and not just borrowing a friend or relative's car while you are here, the rental companies may require an International Driving Permit, or have other requirements.

American Drivers Traveling Overseas

You should obtain and IDP before you leave on your trip. AAA can assist with that. There is a fee. If you will be receiving the IDP by mail instead of going to your local AAA office, make sure you leave plenty of time—at least six weeks—for them to process and mail the IDP to you.