Listening to the radio, once a family affair around a huge radio receiver in a place of honor in the living room, has long been replaced by television and now the internet. But it holds a special kind of magic, whether in the car, as you drift off to sleep or wake up with a radio alarm. Or late into the night, just you and the radio and your favorite announcer. It feels intimate and personal. The Raleigh-Durham area has a great variety of radio stations, from classical and sports talk to jazz and R&B.
The area has an abundance of colleges and universities, and they contribute to the varied fabric of FM radio in Raleigh-Durham. Find the stations that fit your taste and style on this list of the Triangle's FM line-up.
FM Radio Stations in the Raleigh-Dunham Area
- WKNC 88.1 FM North Carolina State University's student-run radio station, based in Raleigh, plays indie rock, metal, electronic and underground hip-hop genres.
- WXDU 88.7 FM Duke University's college radio station, based in Durham and run by students, says its focus is progressive alternative programming that includes "an alternative viewpoint untainted by commercial interests."
- WSHA 88.9 FM Shaw University's station, based in Raleigh, is the station to tune into to find jazz, blues, funk, reggae, African and gospel.
- WXYC 89.3 FM University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's radio station is run by students. WXYC plays all music genres with special attention paid to local artists.
- WCPE 89.7 FM The Raleigh-Durham area's listener-supported classical radio station based in Wake Forest, North Carolina plays everything from Bach and Beethoven to Holst and Copland.
- WDCC 90.5 FM Central Carolina Community College's station. This Sanford, North Carolina-based station plays top pop, rock, country and R&B hits. WNCU 90.7 FM North Carolina Central University's station, based in Durham, is a great place to tune into if you love jazz and blues.
- WUNC 91.5 FM This is Raleigh-Durham's NPR (public radio) station based at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It has a news and talk format as part of NPR. It calls itself a place for music discovery and plays a variety of North Carolina artists, indie rock and up-and-coming artists outside of talk radio programming.
- WPAW 93.1 FM This Winston-Salem-based country radio station, also known as "93.1 The Wolf," can be heard throughout the Triangle and plays all your country faves, like Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Lauren Alaina and Tim McGraw.
- WQDR 94.7 FM This station calls itself "Today's Best Country" in Raleigh. Straight-ahead country, all the time, with the likes of Blake Shelton, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill.
- WBBB 96.1 FM This all-rock station plays everything from the Foo Fighters and 3 Doors Down to Van Halen and Tom Petty.
- WCMC 99.9 FM Raleigh-based ESPN sports talk radio station known as "The Fan."
- WRDU 100.7 FM Raleigh's classic rock station plays the stuff of your memories, like Journey, Foreigner, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Def Leppard, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and all the greats.
- WYMY 101.1 FM La Ley is an all-Spanish radio station with music, news, and sports based in Burlington, North Carolina.
- WRAL 101.5 FM Mix 101.5 is a Raleigh-based adult contemporary station that plays hits from "the 80's, 90's and today." Black-Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, Pink and Peter Gabriel are just a few of the artists you'll hear on this station, which prides itself on variety in its playlist.
- WLHC 103.1 FM "Life" 103.1 is an adult standard/easy listening station based in Robbins, North Carolina. It calls itself the home of "timeless favorites."