Those who are planning a trip to Florida in February will be delighted to find a mild climate, at least compared to the rest of the United States (which will likely be battling the last of their winter snowstorms). You can expect the weather in Key West, for example, to be 75 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny.
Southern Florida's cities experience balmy temps year-round, making February beach days the norm, but central and northern Florida are typically cooler than most people expect (sometimes dropping to 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the evenings).
Florida Weather in February
Expect cooler temperatures in the central and northern parts of the state during February. Fortunately, though, the chilly temps seem to warm up by the end of the month. Hurricane season doesn't begin until June, so you won't have to worry too much about getting rained out. Sometimes a cold front can drive in the odd, short-lived storm.
- Daytona Beach: High of 71 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius); Low of 9 degrees Fahrenheit (9 degrees Celsius)
- Fort Myers: High of 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius); Low of 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius)
- Jacksonville: High of 67 degrees Fahrenheit (19 degrees Celsius); Low of 44 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius)
- Key West: High of 76 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius); Low of 66 degrees Fahrenheit (19 degrees Celsius)
- Miami: High of 73 degrees Fahrenheit (23 degrees Celsius); Low of 63 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius)
- Orlando: High of 74 degrees Fahrenheit (23 degrees Celsius); Low of 51 degrees Fahrenheit (11 degrees Celsius)
- Panama City: High of 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius); Low of 41 degrees Fahrenheit (5 degrees Celsius)
- Pensacola: High of 64 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius); Low of 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius)
- Tallahassee: High of 67 degrees Fahrenheit (19 degrees Celsius); Low of 42 degrees Fahrenheit (6 degrees Celsius)
- Tampa: High of 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius); Low of 54 degrees Fahrenheit (12 degrees Celsius)
- West Palm Beach: High of 76 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius); Low of 58 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius)
The water temperature for the Gulf of Mexico on the western coast ranges from 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius) to 60-some degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) this time of year. The Atlantic Ocean on the east side typically stays in the 50s Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius) from central Florida and above. The beaches to the south, such as West Palm Beach, Miami, and The Florida Keys, are always several degrees warmer than those located further north.
What to Pack
If you happen to be planning a romantic Valentine's Day getaway, don't forget to pack formal clothing for a special night out. Besides wanting to impress your significant other, your restaurant of choice may enforce a dress code.
Shorts, sandals, t-shirts, and sundresses are a must for the Florida sun, but also be sure to take along a sweater and jacket for possible chilly nights. You should also pack a bathing suit, even if you don't plan on hitting the beach. Most hotel swimming pools are heated. Lastly, don't forget your sunblock, even on cloudy days, you can still get a bad sunburn.
February Events in Florida
There are plenty of events to enjoy throughout the Sunshine State for lovers, singles, and families alike.
- Valentine's Day in Florida: Keep an eye out for restaurant specials, hotel spa packages, and more perks for couples surrounding the romantic February 14 holiday. Singles can get in on the action, too, with parties at the local bars.
- Seven Seas Food Festival: Enjoy local craft beers, listen to live concerts and performances, and taste new culinary delights at this food festival taking place every weekend from February 7 to May 3 at SeaWorld Orlando.
- Florida State Fair: Showcasing the best agribusiness Florida has to offer, the state fair is held each year in Tampa, drawing families and farmers alike from all over the state. In 2020, it will be held from February 6 to 17.
- Lake Worth Street Painting Festival: Guests can stroll the downtown streets of Lake Worth to view the most beautiful chalk art street paintings from 600 different artists, all for free and taking place on February 22 and 23, 2020.
- Universal Orlando Mardi Gras: Between February 1 and April 2, Universal Orlando will be transformed into the Big Easy nightly with its annual Mardi Gras celebration. It'll feature parades, live music, colorful costumes, Cajun food, and much more.
February Travel Tips
- Florida's mild climate continues throughout the winter months, but there is a chance for cold temperatures, even frost, during the first half of February in both northern and central Florida. If you plan on enjoying the famous white sand beaches, you may want to plan your trip later in the month.
- Florida's peak season is mid-December to mid-April, so February falls smack-dab in the middle. Don't expect to have the beaches or Disney World to yourself and be especially aware of the President's Day long weekend.