Dreaming of visiting Florida in February? While most of the United States and Canada is experiencing some of the coldest temperatures of the year, it can be quite mild throughout the state of Florida.
While Miami, Key West, and the other south Florida cities experience balmy temps year-round (averaging in the mid-70s this month) perfect for beach days and ocean swimming, central and northern Florida are typically cooler and than most people expect and can get down to the 40s in the evenings.
No matter which city you choose to visit, here is what you need to know before going to the Sunshine State.
What to Pack for a Trip to Florida in February
Since Valentine's Day falls in the middle of the month, if you're planning a romantic getaway, don't forget to pack dress-up clothing for a special night out. Besides wanting to impress your significant other, your restaurant of choice may require a dress code.
Shorts, sandals, t-shirts, sundresses are a must for the Florida sun, but also be sure to take along a sweater and jacket for possible chilly nights. You should also pack a bathing suit, even if you don't plan on hitting the beach since most hotel swimming pools are heated. And, don't ever forget your sunblock — even on cloudy days, you can still get a bad sunburn.
The Best Time to Go to Florida in February
- Florida's mild climate continues throughout the winter months, however, there is a chance for cold temperatures – even frost – during the first half of February in both northern and central Florida. So, if you plan on enjoying the famous white sand beaches you may want to plan your trip later in the month.
- February is a great time visit Disney World. During the first week of February, attendance is low, and you can expect more moderate crowds the second week of the month. Presidents' week is one of the most crowded weeks, so you should avoid visiting at this time if you can.
- Attendance at Universal Studios Orlando in February tends to mirror that of Disney World, so even if you're skipping the Magic Kingdom, you can anticipate similar crowds.
Festivals and Events in Florida in February
- Valentine's Day in Florida (February 14, 2018) - Enjoy romance-inspired activities and getaways for this special day for couples.
- Seven Seas Food Festival (Every Saturday and Sunday from February 17 - April 15, 2018) - Enjoy local craft beers, listen to live concerts and performances, and taste new culinary delights at this popular annual event at SeaWorld Orlando
- Florida State Fair (February 8 - 19, 2018) - Showcasing the best Florida has to offer in the agribusiness, this event is held each year in Tampa, Florida and draws families and farming fans alike from all over the state.
- Lake Worth Street Painting Festival (February 24 & 25, 2018) - Guests can stroll the downtown streets of Lake Worth to view the most beautiful chalk art street paintings from 600 different artists, for free.
- Praise Wave Music Festival (January 20 - February 10, 2018) - Another wonderful event held at SeaWorld Orlando that combines fun and fellowship in a Christian atmosphere. Enjoy live performances from the hottest names in Christian music, as well as amazing shows and the thrill rides SeaWorld Orlando is known for.
- Universal Orlando Mardi Gras (Saturdays & Select Nights, February 3 - April 7, 2018) - Universal Orlando will be transformed into the "Big Easy" with its annual one-of-a-kind Mardi Gras celebration featuring parades, live music, and much more.
The Weather in Florida in February
The temperatures begin to warm up toward the end of the month, but there is a chance for cool temperatures during the entire month central Florida and above.
Hurricane season doesn't begin until June 1st, so you won't have to worry about the terrible tropical weather, however, cold fronts that breeze through the state during February can produce short-lived, strong storms. The average temperatures for popular tourist destinations are listed below. If you're looking for more specific information on these popular Florida destinations, click on each city link to see what's in store throughout the year.
- Daytona Beach: High 71°-Low 49°
- Fort Myers: High 77°-Low 55°
- Jacksonville: High 67°-Low 44°
- Key West: High 76°-Low 66°
- Miami: High 73°-Low 63°
- Orlando: High 74°-Low 51°
- Panama City: High 65°-Low 41°
- Pensacola: High 64°-Low 45°
- Tallahassee: High 67°-Low 42°
- Tampa: High 72°-Low 54°
- West Palm Beach: High 76°-Low 58°
Average Water Temperatures in Florida in February
The water temperature for the Gulf of Mexico on the western coast ranges from the high 50s to high 60s this time of year. The Atlantic Ocean on the east side averages in the mid-to-high 50s from central Florida and above. The beaches to the south, such as West Palm Beach, Miami, and The Florida Keys, are always several degrees warmer than those located further north.