This ride is geared toward small children. It's gentle and cute, with no pesky height limits. Your little ones will love it, but kids who are over "baby rides" may turn up their noses.
It's a simple, so-called "spinner" or "flat" ride, typically thought of as kiddie rides, and intended for young riders.
Riders fly in stylized "Memory Maker" vehicles inspired by the Pixar film Inside Out as they pass shelves packed with glowing orbs that symbolize those memories, each with a color that symbolizes a different emotion.
What You Need to Know About Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
- Location: Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind is in Pixar Pier
- Rating: ★★- Higher for small children
- Restrictions: None, but children under 7 years old must be accompanied by someone who is 14 or older
- Recommended for: This ride is good for small children
- Fun Factor: Medium for little kids, low for bigger ones
- Wait Factor: Low
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low, unless you get dizzy easily or suffer from extreme fear of heights. If you're prone to motion sickness, choose your seat so you will be going forward.
- Seating: Ride vehicles look like stylized hot air balloons. They are suspended. Riders sit in bench seats facing each other. Each vehicle can hold 4 people. You have to step up to get in.
- Accessibility: You will have to transfer from your wheelchair or ECV into the ride vehicle, by yourself or with help from your traveling companions. Enter with everyone else.
How to Have More Fun on Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
- The statues of Sadness and Joy outside the ride make a great pace for a fun photo or two.
- The voice of Disgust which narrates your ride may be enough to make you want to throw up, even if you're not getting sick from the motion. Try to ignore her, if you can.
- Very small riders may not be able to see out over the sides of the ride vehicles and lap sitting is not allowed for safety reasons. You can watch for a minute to see whether your little one will see anything other than the walls of the ride around them.
- On some nights, Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind closes early to accommodate World of Color performances.
- If you or your kids haven't seen Inside Out or have forgotten its storyline, watch it before you go and you may get more out of it.
Fun Facts About Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
If you're a frequent Disneyland visitor, this ride may seem oddly familiar. That's because it working are recycled from the Flik's Flyers ride in now-closed Bug's Land.
The ride's story comes from 11-year-old Riley of the 2015 “Inside Out” film. Her memories look like glowing, colorful balls.
Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind is similar to the Blowfish Balloon Race ride at Tokyo DisneySea.
More About California Adventure Rides
You can see all the California Adventure rides at a glance on the California Adventure Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with Radiator Springs Racers and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download the recommended Disneyland apps (they're all free!) and get some proven tips to minimize your Disneyland wait time.