In a cooperation with Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Oklahoma City has established the "Close to Home" fishing waters in the metro area. The city offers fishing at its three primary reservoir lakes (Lake Hefner, Lake Overholser and Lake Draper) and there are other nearby options such as Lake Arcadia and Lake Thunderbird, but the Close to Home lakes and ponds around OKC are another opportunity for fishing recreation in the metro.
Below is a list, followed by important notes and rules to know.
Address: From NW 10th to NE 10th
Location: South of downtown. Get a detailed profile of the Oklahoma River Boathouse District
OKC Zoo Lake
Address: 2101 NE 50th St
Location: South of I-44, east of Martin Luther King Ave. Get a detailed profile of the Oklahoma City Zoo.
Address: 6625 SW 15th St
Location: South of I-40, west of MacArthur Blvd.
Dolese Youth Park Pond
Address: 5105 NW 50th St
Location: NW 50th and Meridian
Edwards Park Fishing Lake
Address: 1515 N. Bryant
Location: Just east of I-35 at NE 15th
Address: 3200 W. Wilshire
Location: Just to the east of Lake Hefner Parkway, accessible from May and Wilshire
Address: 5894 SE 119th St
Location: West of Lake Stanley Draper off Sooner Rd
Route 66 Park Ponds
Address: 3350 West Overholser Drive
Location: At Lake Overholser
South Lakes Park Ponds
Address: 4302 SW 119th St
Location: East of Meridian
Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge Waters
Location: NW 51st & Stinchcomb Road
Close to Home Rules and Regulations
Keep the following policies in mind when utilizing Oklahoma City's Close to Home lakes and ponds:
- It's likely you're already aware that one needs a state fishing license in order to fish anywhere in Oklahoma. Get more information on how and where to buy a fishing license in OKC. Also, for those ages 16 to 62, a city fishing permit is required at all of the Parks and Recreation Department's Close to Home waters. Daily fishing permits are $3.50; annual permits are $18.50. They can be purchased at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports & Outdoors, the OKC Zoo and some select Wal-Marts and Conoco locations. Get a full list of purchase locations online.
- Pets must be on leash and are not allowed to get in the water.
- Park only in legal, designated areas.
- For those over 21, alcohol is allowed but can't exceed 3.2 in content and must be in cans rather than glass bottles.
- If you want to make a fire, use a designated fire pit or bring a portable charcoal grill.
- Hanging propane lanterns are not allowed.