Visiting a museum is a great way to learn about what a city has to offer, and their past, and Charlotte has plenty of great museums around town. In fact, several of our museums have received national attention for offering such a great experience.
If you're interested in visiting some Charlotte museums, you need to know that your ticket to these museums might already be in your pocket! If you've got a Bank of America debit or credit card, you're on your way to absolutely free admission.
Thanks to a recent partnership with Merrill Lynch, those cards are included as well!
The first full weekend of every month, several museums in Charlotte offer free access to Bank of America cardholders as part of the "Museums on Us" program. The Charlotte museums that participate in this program include:
- Mint Museum Uptown: See their internationally known craft and design collection
- Mint Museum Randolph: Located in what was the original branch of the United States Mint, Mint Museum Randolph opened in 1936 in Charlotte’s Eastover neighborhood as the state’s first art museum.
- Levine Museum of the New South: See Charlotte's history from its foundation in the late 1700s to what it is today
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture: Celebrates the contributions of Africans and African- Americans to American culture
Each cardholder is limited to one admission, but multiple cards on the same account are still good for multiple admissions.
Just show your Bank of America card at the admission desk, and you're all set. You don't need to make any sort of reservation, and you don't need to purchase anything in advance. Just be courteous of the museum's hours, and don't visit right before they close!
These six museums are just a portion of what Charlotte has to offer though.
Check out out complete list of museums in Charlotte.
If you need a reminder, you can sign up for free "Museums on Us" text or e-mail alerts. When you sign up, you'll receive notification a few days before each free period, making sure that you never miss it again!
Visiting another city? This program is valid in dozens of cities across the nation! If you've visiting a city on the first weekend of the month, logon to see if that city offers free museums. Here's the list of participating museums nationwide. Over 150 museums across the nation are involved in this program, covering 98 cities in 32 states. That's only an average of less than two museums per city, so Charlotte is fortunate to have five different participants!