Oh, you romantics! Are you one of those couples who got engaged or married around Valentine's Day in February and have an anniversary coming up? Even if the 14th isn't your exact date, February is the month when everyone's thoughts turn to love and indulging in a romantic getaway. I can point you to exceptional places where you can celebrate that love on a February anniversary trip.
Romantic Getaways in February
Hotels and resorts throughout the world create packages for couples to celebrate Valentine's Day. Many of these deals are good for the entire month of February; some extend all the way into spring. These Valentine's Day offers typically include romantic perks -- flowers, chocolate, late checkout, even rose petals on your bed. If you want something out of the ordinary, request it from the management in advance. These are current packages:
- Valentine's Day Getaways
Five pages of trips designed expressly for lovers.
Follow the Sun in February
It's cold outside but you can shake off winter's chill by heading south or west to warmer weather. These are particular places to shed some layers and warm two lovers' hearts on an anniversary jaunt.
- Florida Keys - water, water everywhere, the Keys offer everything from laid-back resorts to luxury places for romantics to savor the sun and sand
- Bahamas - beautiful beach weather is no gamble here, and you have 700 islands to choose from
- Mexico's Riviera Maya - an easy plane ride for visitors from the eastern United States, this area is filled with sensual resorts that cater to couples who crave a place in the sun
February is Ski Season
From the Adirondack Mountains to the Alps, much of the Northern Hemisphere is blanketed in snow come February.
If your idea of fun together involves sports in the fluffy white stuff -- downhill and cross-country skiing, skating, snowboarding, rides by carriage and dogsled through the snowy woods -- then you'll revel in a ski getaway trip for your anniversary. Some ideas for winter romance:
- Top 6 Ski Resorts in the USA and Canada - places to appeal to both athletes and aesthetes, these offer scenic beauty, fine food, terrific accommodations and plenty of non-ski pursuits
- Europe's Best Ski Resorts - combine the excitement and sophistication of a European holiday with an opportunity to ski some of the highest mountains on the continent
Isn't It Romantic
If you want a sure thing — and who doesn't on a romantic getaway? — splurge on a stay in a Relais & Chateaux inn. These exceptional places, each one completely different from the others, are located all over the world. Things that they have in common are excellent cuisine, character, and charm. And if you have the time and the cash to totally indulge, plan to stay at several during your getaway; the brand's Routes du Bonheur are suggested itineraries within a region.
And Now for Somewhere Completely Different...
Consider Ottawa. Yes, Ottawa, the capital of Canada in the province of Ontario.
Normally, Ottawa isn't known as a tourist hotspot; in fact, some consider the city downright dull. But in winter, Ottawa becomes magical, with an attraction that no place else on earth can boast: the Rideau Canal. Stretching 126 miles, this waterway is usually frozen solid by February — and that's when the fun begins. Rent a pair of ice skates, hold each other's hand, and glide your way to invigorating bliss. Pause at a hut along the frozen waterway selling BeaverTails, a local delicacy that's fried, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, savored while warm, and best when shared. When you're ready to warm up, exit at Parliament Hill and head to the classic and classy Fairmont Chateau Laurier.