It seems like many of us go all out for Mother's Day but don't always do the same for dear old Dad. Well make him feel special too on Father's Day in Oklahoma City. Here are some OKC ideas on gifts, food and fun for the holiday.
Get the Perfect Gift for Dad
First, when thinking about gifts, don't just pick up a tie and call it a day. There's no doubt that dads often enjoy gifts that are useful, but there are also plenty of unique, non-utilitarian gift options that he'll enjoy.
Consider sports cards or memorabilia from a place like Jason White's Store Divided at Penn Square Mall or Al's Sports Cards in Edmond. If Dad's not a sports fan, try to embrace whatever his hobby. Oklahoma City has shops for everything from collectible coins to comic books. What about model-building, gaming, art or antiques?
Dads will always enjoy a gift with a personal touch, so consider an engraved item such as a watch or coffee cup from a place like Things Remembered.
Now with all of the said, don't ignore the useful items either...
- Head to Quail Springs or Penn Square perhaps to shop for clothes or tools.
- Don't forget the home improvement shops Lowe's and Home Depot.
- What dad doesn't enjoy electronics?
Get Dad Out of the House
He'll probably tell you that all he wants to do is take it easy on Father's Day. Dads are like that. But make the day memorable by getting him out of the house for something fun.
Here are just a few ideas in the metro:
- Let Dad feel like a kid again at Pole Position Raceway, at an amusement park or playing miniature golf.
- Take him swimming.
- Kayak on the Oklahoma River or raft at the Boathouse District's whitewater facility.
- Go to the Brick for a Dodgers game.
- Play 9 holes at Lake Hefner or any other public course, or go to TopGolf in north OKC for some leisurely swings.
If all of those are just too much for the old guy, more leisurely options include tours through the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, the OKC Museum of Art or the fantastic Oklahoma History Center.
Make Father's Day an Event in OKC
Father's Day is celebrated on the 3rd Sunday in June, and the month holds a couple of favorite annual events in the Oklahoma City metro area that Dad might enjoy.
- The Red Earth Festival is typically early in June.
- The Bricktown Blues Festival is likely right around Father's Day.
- Late month brings Norman's Jazz in June.
- The annual deadCENTER Film Festival is held downtown in June.
- And concerts are in full swing at Frontier City or in communities throughout the metro.
But that's not nearly all. Check the June Event Calendar here on TripSavvy for other events dads will love.
Take Dad Out to Eat
Finally, after any of the above, Dad is probably going to be hungry, so make dining out a part of his special day. Any OKC favorite could work, of course.
But if dining out is something you do frequently, just worry about finding a fun atmosphere for Dad.
- Eat outdoors along the Bricktown Canal or at Lake Hefner.
- Get him a great steak at Cattlemen's, Mickey Mantle's or any other top steakhouse.
- Try a great local Sports Bar or Neighborhood Pub