Fathers Day often presents a challenge: Beyond what to give Dad, what would be fun to do? Well, here are ten ideas of things to do and places to go for a memorable Brooklyn dad's day.
Celebrate Fathers Day with a good meal! There are lots of ways to skin the culinary cat:
- Head to the once-a-month Grand Army Plaza Food Truck Rally to sample the offerings of some of New York City's finest gourmet good trucks, including fresh lobster.
- Try to get a reservation at one of Brooklyn's top restaurants.
- Have brunch at one of these 12 Zagat rated restaurants.
- Check out 5 classic Brooklyn restaurants and bars.
- Try a low key brunch spots in DUMBO.
Or, skip the meal and go right to desert! Buy some wonderful chocolate at one of Brooklyn's Best Chocolate shops.
Tucked away in Park Slope is a hiker and campers little dream store: Gear to Go Outfitters,a tiny outpost for the hardy hiker. Known for excellent service, this little store prizes personal service, so even if you don't know a backpack from a back ache, they'll be able to help you. (718) 399-7848. Whether your father is an aspirational or an actual hiker, some guys love gear.
Introduce Dad to Brooklyn's Craft Beer Culture
Address79 N 11th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
Buy the old feller some beer. Brooklyn's hopping with bars, beer halls and breweries specializing in small batch craft beers. Here are five ideas of what and where:
- Pick up some Brooklyn Brewery brew in upscale food shops borough-wide.
- Order from Biercraft in Park Slope; they are truly beer specialists and have hundreds of different craft beer options (and excellent sandwiches, too).
- Check out Draft Barn in Gowanus, a new establishment with an impressive list of brews on Third Avenue near 12th Street; it's also in Sheepshead Bay on Avenue X.
Or, forget the craft brew and for a heart-to-heart talk or to watch sports, head to a Brooklyn sports bar, or an old-fashioned Brooklyn Irish pub.
Combine Pizza & Culture: Only-in-Brooklyn Pizza, With Fun to Go
Eat your way through Fathers Day. Combine some really great Brooklyn pizza (sit-down pizzas, not slices to go) and a cool Brooklyn outing:
Address1030 86th St & 7th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11228, USA
Yes, there are golf courses in Brooklyn, and both are public and open daily. It's smart to reserve your tee-off time.
- Dyker Beach Golf Course at 86th Street & Seventh Avenue. 718-836-9722.
An eighteen-hole, seventy-one par golf course in Bensonhurst. Rental clubs, carts, lessons.
- Marine Park Golf Course, 2880 Flatbush Avenue in Marine Park. Bigger than Dyker Beach, the Marine Park Golf Course is a 19-hole course.
Address162 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211, USA
You can find all kinds of Brooklyn t-shirts around, but some of the nicest t's, and most durably produced bags and backpacks are made by Brooklyn Industries. Store locations include Park Slope (both Fifth and Seventh Avenues), Smith Street in Carroll Gardens, DUMBO, South Williamsburg and Williamsburg. (The South Williamsburg store is an outlet.) See the website for maps and directions: http://www.brooklynindustries.com.
Address620 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217, USA
The huge Barclays Center in Fort Greene has a full calendar of events, including Brooklyn Nets games but also concerts, Disney on Ice and about a hundred other events. Find something that appeals, and give Dad the promise of fun to come: some tickets for a night or afternoon out in the autumn.
DO a BBQ with Great Dogs, Brooklyn Style
For a dad who loves to have a BBQ:
Go to the Movies or a Show at Brooklyn Academy of Music
Address30 Lafayette Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217, USA
Not big talkers, you and dad? So go to the movies at BAM, or better, Nighthawk in Williamsburg where you can order a meal while you watch a flick.
Get Schmaltzy: Remind Dad of "How Sweet It Is"
Well, it's Father's Day after all. And how sweet it is! Give dad a hug.