Update: FAO Schwarz closed in July 2015 after being in business in New York City since 1870. There are rumors that they might re-open elsewhere in the city, but the store has struggled financially for years due to rising rents and competition from online retailers. It had its home on Fifth Avenue and 58th Street since 1986, but had other locations along Fifth Avenue since 1910.
FAO Schwarz Details:
- Address:767 Fifth Avenue (at 58th St.)
- Subway: N/R/Q to 59th Street/Fifth Avenue; 4/5/6 to 59th Street/Lexington Avenue
- Phone: 212-644-9400
- Website: FAO.com
FAO Schwarz Hours:
- Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday - Sunday: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Store often has extended hours during the holiday season
FAO Schwarz Shopping Tips:
- The Concierge on the Concourse Level can help you navigate the store, or even give you personalized advice for your NYC vacation.
- Gift wrapping services are available, fees vary.
- Weekdays before lunch and in the early afternoon are the least crowded times to visit FAO Schwarz. On weekends, the earlier in the day, the less crowded the store will probably be.
- Personal shopper assistance is free and available with or without an appointment.
- You can have your purchases shipped home.
- FAO Schwarz offers delivery to Manhattan hotels, fees apply.
- During the holiday season, the store is more crowded than usual -- be patient.
Dining at FAO Schwarz:
The Cafe at FAO Schwarz has limited seating, but they offer an array of drinks, pastries, sandwiches, and snacks for visitors to enjoy. FAO Schweetz has 6,000 square feet of candy that can satiate any sweet tooth.
FAO Schwarz Fun:
- You can have a 45-minute VIP tour of the store and continental breakfast at the cafe before the store opens for $40/person (4 person minimum, though they'll combine groups if your party is too small). You can even request a personal shopper to keep you company, making it possible to shop without the crowds! Reserve a week in advance (or more) by calling 212-644-9400 x4244.
- Glitter tattoos and face painting are available daily from 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. at the store, fees vary.
- Storytime takes place daily at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. (as well as at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday) in Barefoot Books on Level Two.
Pictures from FAO Schwarz