Every year, Ski magazine surveys its readers to determine the best ski resorts in North America in various categories, ranking the best for service, off-hill activities, grooming, challenge, dining, and so on.
Looking for a ski resort that goes above and beyond for families? Consult this list of top 20 ski resorts for kid-friendly programming, as voted by the readers of Ski magazine.
Best Kid-Friendly Ski Resorts in the West
- Sun Valley Ski Resort: Sun Valley, Idaho
What makes this place number one? Ski readers love the short lift lines, variety of well-manicured slopes, and friendly staff.
Explore hotel options in Sun Valley
- Big White Ski Resort: Kelowna, British Columbia
Boasting six lifts, 118 runs and BC's world-famous champagne powder, this resort has a laid-back, family-friendly vibe where kids can be kids.
Explore hotel options in Kelowna
- Whistler Blackcomb Ski Resort: Whistler, British Columbia
This goliath resort manages to deliver a just-right-sized ski vacation for families, making it easy for kids to get their snow on.
Explore hotel options in Whistler
- Deer Valley Ski Resort: Park City, Utah
Terrific daycare, well-groomed slopes, good food, and top-notch service make this a top pick in the West for Ski readers.
Explore hotel options in Park City
- Steamboat Resort: Steamboat Springs, Colorado
The readers of Ski love the super kids’ program, powdery snow, great variety of terrain, and the town itself, which has character in spades.
Explore hotel options in Steamboat Springs
- Sun Peaks Ski Resort: Sun Peaks, British Columbia
This large ski resort near Vancouver gets high marks for kid-friendliness among Ski magazine readers.
Explore hotel options in Sun Peaks
- Keystone Resort: Keystone, Colorado
This resort gets raves for its all-budgets approach, wonderful daycare for little ones, and plethora of kid-friendly activities, from Camp Keystone to The Schoolyard, a dedicated family trail with adventure zones.
Explore hotel options in Keystone
- Snowmass Ski Resort: Snowmass Village, Colorado
Ski readers fawn over this family-centric sister to Aspen, citing the kids’ learn-to-ski program, excellent terrain, and great lift system.
Explore hotel options in Snowmass Village
- Brundage Mountain Resort: McCall, Idaho
This lesser-known resort in the Payette National Forest gets high marks for its kid-friendly vibe and long cruiser runs.
Explore hotel options in McCall
- Park City Mountain Resort: Park City, Utah
Ski readers cite the excellent learn-to-ski programs, great terrain for all ages, and a ton of fun things to do at the resort and in town.
Explore hotel options in Park City
Best Kid-Friendly Ski Resorts in the East
- Smugglers’ Notch Resort: Jeffersonville, Vermont
Year after year, Ski readers vote Smuggs number one for families in the East, citing the best ski program in the industry, plentiful number of on-mountain condos, diverse terrain, top-notch daycare, and few crowds.
Check rates at Smugglers' Notch
- Holiday Valley Resort: Ellicottville, New York
Good value, a variety of slopes for everyone in the family, and a town that has charm in spades are what stand out for Ski readers here.
Explore hotel options in Ellicottville
- Mount Sunapee Ski Resort: Newbury, New Hampshire
Great grooming and snowmaking, plus a kid-friendly vibe, makes Sunapee a perennial favorite for families.
Explore hotel options in Newbury
- Okemo Ski Resort: Ludlow, Vermont
This resort gets high marks with Ski readers for its variety of excellent terrain, ultra-family-friendly atmosphere, and slopeside condos with wood-burning fireplaces.
Explore hotel options at Okemo
- Jay Peak Resort: Jay, Vermont
Ski readers note that this classic New England mountain has some fabulous off-mountain options, such as the massive Pump House indoor waterpark.
Check rates at Jay Peak Resort
- Bretton Woods Ski Area: Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
Gorgeous scenery, excellent lodging, a good ski school, and lots of varied terrain make this resort a favorite among Ski readers. There's also a two-story climbing wall in the lodge and kiddie-size 60cc Polaris snowmobiles to take out for a spin.
Explore hotel options at Bretton Woods
- Mont Tremblant Ski Resort: Mont-Tremblant, Quebec
Great on-mountain dining, lots of family activities, and runs for every age and ability are just some of what Ski readers love most about Tremblant. When you're not on the slopes, you'll have a hard time dragging your kids out of La Source. the huge indoor waterpark.
Explore hotel options in Mont-Tremblant
- Waterville Valley Resort: Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
Along with easy access off the I-93 and short lift lines, families love the slew of kid-friendly activities, including nordic trails, terrain parks, and a tubing hill.
Explore hotel options in Waterville Valley
- Snowshoe Mountain Resort: Snowshoe, West Virginia
Within reach of DC, West Virginia's largest ski resort offers a great ski school and tons of facilities for families.
Explore hotel options in Snowshoe
- Attitash Mountain Ski Resort: Bartlett, New Hampshire
The White Mountains resort is a great place for families with many nearby lodging options, say Ski magazine readers.
Explore hotel options in nearby North Conway
Family Ski Getaway Tips
- Ski Getaways with Kids
- How to Save Money on a Family Ski Trip
- How to Save up to 85 Percent on Ski Lift Tickets
- Free Printable Packing List for Family Ski Trips