In Florida, the arrival of the fall brings slightly cooler temperatures and a celebration of the season with farm festivals and Halloween parties in the Sunshine State's major parks. Locals and visitors alike celebrate the break from the heat and humidity of Florida summers by taking to the streets to check out the arts, sip wine, trick-or-treat, and maybe even attend a carnival. In the fall, you can count on something happening in every part of Florida from Disney World to Miami and Tampa.
Fall Weather in Florida
September, October, and November are generally great months to plan a visit to Florida, but travelers should be aware that these months also make up the second half of hurricane season. September, in particular, poses the highest-risk for getting caught in a bad storm in Florida. If you do manage to avoid a hurricane, however, the weather in Florida is quite agreeable in the fall. It can still be pretty warm, but the Florida humidity is slowly breaking, making way for more pleasant conditions to spend time outdoors.
|Average High Temperature||Average Low Temperature||Average Sea Temperature|
|September||89 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius)||71 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius)||84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius)|
|October||84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius)||65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius)||81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 degrees Celsius)|
|November||77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius)||56 degrees Fahrenheit (13 degrees Celsius||79 degrees Fahrenheit (26 degrees Celsius)|
What to Pack
Overall, fall is still a pretty warm season, so summer clothes and a swimsuit will do you just fine and you'll probably want to have a light jacket or sweater in the evenings for when the temperature drops at night. You'll also need a raincoat, just in case you get caught in a tropical drizzle or storm.
Fall Events in Florida
Floridians have no problem getting into the autumn spirit despite the warm weather with events in some of the state's major parks and rural areas.
- Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival: The festival typically runs from the end of August through mid-November. The event is marked by wine tastings, Disney and guest chefs cooking up culinary delights, and the popular Eat to the Beat! concerts. Entrance to the festival, plus select wine and beer seminars, cooking demonstrations, culinary exhibits, concerts, and all attractions are included with regular Epcot admission, but specialty events require reservations and separate event admission.
- Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party: This family-friendly Disney World attraction runs from late August through the end of October. The event happens after hours and is a separate admission from the park itself. There will be Halloween-themed rides, a Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular Ball, character meet and greets, and of course Mickey's "Boo-to-You" Halloween Parade.
- Howl-O-Scream: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay's Halloween event, a separate admission ticket, is not one for the faint of heart. This is the place to go if you want a Halloween full of haunted houses and pitch-black thrill rides.
- Long & Scott Farms Corn Maze: Located in the small town of Mount Dora in Central Florida, this authentic corn maze features a different theme each year. You can spend a festive fall day here sliding down their 60-foot slide, fishing in the pond, taking a hayride, having a picnic or simply enjoying the country atmosphere.
- Sweet Season Farm: Located in Milton, Florida, a town in the western panhandle, this farm has fun lined up with mazes, hayrides, tube slides, a corn cannon, a cow train, and a pumpkin patch. Farm festivals like this are perfect for little kids.
Fall Travel Tips
- Although the fall is not the busiest time to visit Florida, as you near close to Thanksgiving, hotels will book up quickly so try to book accommodations far ahead of time.
- For the same reason that you'll need to book your hotel ahead of time, you should also reserve your Disney World passes as early as possible. This way, you can avoid long lines at the entrance of the park.
- It's always a good idea to order Disney World tickets as early as possible. This way you avoid lines at the park and can ensure your day at the park is planned out perfectly.
- Fall is a good time to plan a beach trip to Florida since the busy season doesn't get started until November when hurricane season is officially over and the northern regions of the U.S. start to get cold.
- If you are looking for a beach vacation, you'll probably be able to get a great deal at a nice hotel since the busy season doesn't pick up until late November.