First, Why Visit Bali?
Bali is a luxury travel legend. It is a fantasy destination, tropical island division.
Bali works hard to live up to its legend. It belongs on every luxury traveler's vacation bucket list.
Bali Is Far. But It's Worth It
Admittedly, Bali is a long way for North Americans to go for a beach vacation. But anyone who has been there will tell you that Bali is well worth the extra flight time and expense. Why?
• Despite its recent tourism development, Bali is a step back in time, with century-old Hindu temples everywhere
• Bali's beaches are clean, its waters caressing, its markets rich in native crafts, its hospitality service excellent, its food exotically delicious
• Once you're there, Bali offers good value for your travel dollar
• You can find just the right hotel for you, from party-hearty beach hotels full of Ozzie revelers, to guesthouses in funky-chic Ubud, to sophisticated, serene resorts like Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
In a nutshell: Bali is far. But Bali is unique and lovely.
Sold. So What's a Great Luxury Hotel in Bali?
I recommend Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, a small, refined resort in South Bali. It opened as a Regent hotel in 2013 and became a Fairmont property in 2015.
This resort is an alluring addition to the vibrant Fairmont Hotels & Resorts brand, based in Canada and beloved throughout the luxury travel world.
• Find out more about the classic hotel brand, Fairmont
Why Stay at Fairmont Sanur Beach in Bali?
• It is stunning, with enormous suites in which everything is a work of art
• It is well situated: around a half hour from Denpasar International Airport and a scenic 45-minute drive to Ubud's markets, galleries, and cafés
• The resort's beach town, Sanur, is fun to explore, with good souvenir and batik shops and inviting eateries
• The resort has terrific on-property dining – Balinese, pan-Asian, and bistro
• And an exceptional spa
• And more (a fine beach, a vast pool)
• See the hotel's website and special offers
Do You Know Fairmont Hotels? They're Very Nice Luxury Hotels
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is one of the world's most famed luxury hotel brands.
• Originally called Canadian Pacific Hotels, they were chateaux built along Canada's coast-to-coast railroad
• Today, Fairmont properties are worldwide, and known for their prime locations and excellent service
• Here on Luxury Travel, read more about the beloved Fairmont hotel brand
Will You Like Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali?
Will Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali Be Your Tropical Resort Style?
You'll probably find your bliss here if:
• You prefer small, personal resorts with boutique-hotel warmth
• You like to lounge in your hotel room, and will appreciate a spacious suite with a spa-like bathroom and vast living area
• You relish one-on-one service and having a butler
• You like the idea of a quiet resort with no nightclubs or DJs
• You're looking forward to a great Balinese spa on-property
• You love big pools for splashing or serious swimming
• You're traveling with your kids, but don't want an overly family-oriented resort
• You'll enjoy exploring the resort's beach-town surroundings, full of shops and cute restaurants
You may not fall for Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali if:
• Your idea of a luxury resort is a large, spacious property
• You had your heart set on a big, social Bali resort on a busy beach
• You like a club scene at your hotel
• And a vast array of dining and drinking options
• You wanted a golf course and tennis courts
• Or you wanted to stay in or very near Ubud
• A waterfront view is non-negotiable (most rooms here are back from the beach, overlooking gardens or reflecting pools with a Hindu shrine)
• Or you were seeking a hotel with all-inclusive pricing
Check out the breathtaking suites at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali >>
Life is All Suites at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Every Room is a Luscious Suite at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali is an all-suites resort, with 120 guest suites and villas.
• 78 Deluxe Suites are the resort's standard accoms, yet hardly entry-level, with almost 1,000 square feet and endless amenities
• Premier Suites are nearly 1,500 square feet
• Four Deluxe Spa Suites (almost 1,700 square feet) and four Premier Spa Suites (almost 2,000) offer in-suite spa treatment rooms and immense decks
• Villas are designed for private vacations, with two and three bedrooms, big private pools, carport
Bring Your Entourage to the Villas
The two-story beachfront villas begin at 3,300 square feet.
• Views are of the ocean -- or the hotel's gardens and Hindu shrine
• Villas feature at least two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a mini-spa with a treatment room and steam bath
• Of course, each villa has a sizable private pool and Jacuzzi
• The glorious view: the Indian Ocean, the island of Nusa Lembongan, and Bali's primeval dawn
Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali Suites are Like
My Deluxe Suite was a delight to live in. Everything in it was a work of art, with an overall mood of Balinese serenity and comfort.
• The king bed was wonderfully firm, with my choice of Balinese linen or Egyptian cotton sheets (I preferred the silkier cotton)
• The Bose sound system was one of the best I've ever encountered in a hotel room
• The intelligently configured closet took up the entire entrance corridor wall, with vast amounts of drawer, hanging, and shelf space, a safe, and this unique touch: hangers made of wood that matches the closet
• The indoor-outdoor living room was enormous, with a wall-length divan that made working on my laptop a tropical indulgence
• The bathroom was like a private spa, with two complete sink units, a super-deep soaking tub, a walk-in stone shower, and more
Complimentary Amenities in All Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali Suites
• Water, juice, and soda minibar
• Kitchen-made munchie snacks
• A tray of grooming supplies
• Batik robes, beach coverups, sandals
• Access to gym and kids' club
• Bike loans
• Shuttle service around Sanur
What's the Downside?
For one thing, guests who want beachfront accommodations may have to have to step up from a suite to a villa.
• Some suites face the beach, but the majority do not, and overlook the property's gardens and Hindu shrines
Nevertheless, my Deluxe Suite's beauty, comfort, and indoor-outdoor lounging space made it hard for me to leave the room.
The Best Room Amenity: Butler Service For All
All accommodations at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali include butler service.
Would you like the service (& the butler call button) at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali? >>
Gracious Service at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Five-Star Service at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Balinese people are said to be kind, gentle, and gifted in service aspects. It's a stereotype, but it's true. Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali offers no-doubt-about-it five-star hotel service.
Guests are treated with honor and dignity.
• You feel valued from at every moment: from your greeting, through your every hour at the hotel, to your farewell (in which a keepsake Balinese yarn bracelet is tied on your wrist
• And, like in Cheers, "everyone knows your name"
• In your suite, every imaginable amenity is provided, just in case: two pairs of robes (lightweight and warmer); good-looking beach sandals to take home; flashlight; SPF; bug spray; umbrella; toothpaste; body powder; water, juice, snacks, more
Butler Program at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
The resort's butler service is one-on one, with a 24-hour butler assigned to every suite and villa. At the touch of your call button, these smiling staffers are ready to streamline your stay, providing these services and more:
• Unpacking and packing
• Reservations for the restaurants, spa, shuttle, etc.
• Arranging for services like laundry
• Drawing your bath
My Favorite Butler Convenience
When I did leave my beautiful suite, I got hopelessly confused by the resort's long, narrow layout.
That's when I truly appreciated the butler call button. Within moments -- usually under two minutes -- my escort would arrive.
• Once summoned, butlers magically appear at your door within moments
Butlers are eager to serve guests. Mine insisted on guiding me to everywhere at the resort (a good thing given my poor sense of direction). She sent me off with an extra pair of the suite's chic black flip-flops
• Read more stories about what some amazing hotel butlers did that we can't forget
East-meets-West dining at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali >>
Dining at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Delicious Cross-Cultural Dining at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Dining options at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali are limited but international -- and very satisfying.
Layang Layang Restaurant: Where East Meets West
Layang Layang is the resort's three-meal restaurant, for all-day dining.
• This handsomely designed indoor but open-air eatery
• The restaurant serves Indonesian dishes with many Balinese specialties
• Pan-Asian and Western-style dishes are served as well.
• The resort's excellent breakfast, included with room rates, is served with buffet and waiter service, and Western, Indonesian, and Japanese dishes
Amazing Asian Flavors at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali's Layang Layang
Layang Layang's Asian dishes at dinner include delicious favorites and some exotic must-tastes.
• Indonesian delights like peanut-accented gado-gado salad (see an easy recipe); Balinese pomelo (orange) salad; coconutty beef rendang; various satays
• Other Asian dishes include Singapore's signature Chili Crab; sweet and sour prawns; Malaysian char kway teow noodles; Japanese udon noodles and tempura; Vietnamese pho soup; Indian chicken tikka; Thai beef salad and tom yam soup with lemongrass
• Western dishes include Caesar salad, Australian beef burger, ciabatta sandwiches, lamb with hummus
Nyala Beach Club & Grill: Bistro Chic
Nyala Beach Club & Grill is a modern restaurant with a contemporary Western-style menu.• It an open-air view is of Sanur Beach, and is ocean breeze caressing
Nyala's menu is strong on small plates and starters, for sharing or light meals: naan bread, dim sum dumplings and potstickers, spring rolls, Thai green mango salad, soups
• Nyala's specialty is grilled seafood caught that morning and delivered right to the beach by fishermen on junkun, Bali's outrigger fishing boats
• Ultra-fresh seafood entrees include greenshell mussel risotto, crispy-skin sea bass, tuna filet
• The grill finesses prime Austrailan beef, New Zealand lamb, rock lobster, prawns, and more; diners can choose from an array of sauces and sides
• Dessert brings tasting plates for two, house-made ice creams, and more
• Nyala Beach Club's sophisticated wine list is strong on full-throttle Australian and New Zealand vintages
More Dining Choices at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
• The Library, a gallery-like reading room, is open from early morning till midnight, offering a light menu and full bar, coffee, and tea service
• The Lobby Lounge, on a deck overlooking the resort and the sea, serves tea, coffee, wine, cocktails, and a light menu, with complimentary light bites at cocktail hour
• Note to caffeine fiends, the real Java is a nearby island. So expect a good cuppa at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
• Resort dining page
If you like having a spa at your hotel, read on >>
This Spa Will Show You Why Balinese Masseurs Are World-Famous
Bali Is an Inspiration to Spas Everywhere
Bali is sacred in the spa world as the origin of many spa treatments -- and of spa décor everywhere.
Does The Spa at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali Confirm Bai's Spa Reputation?
Honestly? Yes, and how. The Spa at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali imbues patrons with Balinese tranquility.
• It feels local and meditative, with Balinese teakwood accents, a luscious aroma, and smiling staffers
The treatment menu covers various massages (including four-hands and Thai), body buffers and slimmers, rejuvenating facials, and skin-silkening fragrant baths.
• Facials cover the waterfront: European deep-cleaning facials utilizing Decléor balms from France; traditional Balinese facials that treat the face's underlying muscles as well as skin; and Intraceuticals' skin-firming "non-surgical facelift"
• Custom baths spotlight aromatherapy sea salts that have been gathered by the same Balinese family for 200 years
• A couples' treatment room furnishes relaxation for two
• See the spa treatment menu
My Balinese Massage: All That?
Yes. My Signature Balinese Massage was superlative: a peak spa experience.
• It was intently performed by a demure young Balinese woman whose strong hands contrasted agreeably with her gentle manner
Beauty On Demand
The spa's "beauty bar" is a quiet salon oasis.
• It offers manicures and pedicures, waxing, brow and lash dying
• Men's grooming rituals are on the menu, too
• Hair services cover shampoo-and-blowout, an array of hair and scalp treatments, Balinese updos and "goddess waves"
You'll relax, but never be bored, at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali >>
More Things to Do at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Lots More to Do at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
If you can tear yourself away from your luxurious suite, there's a lot to do at this resort.
The Beach at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
This is a beachfront property claiming over 600 feet of Sanur Golden Sands Beach, one of Bali's most coveted stretches of shoreline.
• The sand is indeed golden and fine, and the Indian Ocean seas are turquoise and gentle
• Swimming and snorkeling are easy in these calm waters, where coral reefs shelter bright tropical fish
• The beach is public; a pathway in both directions allows guests (and others) to explore the beachfront
• Fishing boats called junkun often bob in the surf, not the usual tropical beach scene
Want to Camp Out on a Beach Lounger? Do It Here
Beach loungers are available to guests at no cost.
• This is a brilliant touch: the resort's wifi covers the beach
• Resort staffers bring drinks and snacks to right to you
Beachfront cabana rentals, by the day or half-day, offer waiter and bar service and a nook for spa treatments.
Full-Service Gym at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
The resort caters to fitness-minded guests with a well-equipped indoor gym.
Attention, Swimmers: This Pool Rules
Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali's infinity pool overlooking Sanur Beach is heaven for the cap-and-goggles crowd.
• It is 50 meters (164 feet) long. (A mile is 32 lengths)
• Shallow lounge areas on both ends allow for sunken seating
• The water temperature is warm enough for splashing but not too hot for serious swimming
• For sunset or night swimming, the pool is well illuminated: inside by lights and outside by great bowls of fire
Kid Stuff at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Young guests can relax with travelers their own age at the Fairmont Kids' Club.
• All kinds of diversions include arts & crafts, toys and electronic games, movies, playground, tree house, library, more
• The Children's Pool is very social, and always spervised
Where to Find Out More About Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Jalan Kusuma Sari No. 8
Sanur Beach, Bali